Part 16 - The Time Will Come

Chapter 16 - The Time Will Come ©2018CarolynAnnAish

Joseph and Philip discussed that fateful day, reliving it several times over. 

Philip had told Joseph, King Lemuel, and his officials how he went to Paupers' Place, as commissioned, and gained the information from the paupers that Floyd had only ever taken food to them twice. 

He'd been accosted as he left Paupers' Place and was dragged into a recess in the wall. While Jim and Jardie gagged and bound him, Floyd and Poisy kept a lookout.

"Evidently, criminals don't bother about paupers; they just keep watch for city soldiers," Philip said. This explained why the paupers, having seen the abduction had scattered; but not Harry, who relished such drama.

"I was taken out to the cave in Tombstone Valley; it must have been before noon as it was so hot I thought I would suffocate. They had put me in a huge sack, which was thrown over the back of Jim's horse. Jardie took Poisy with him and I expect Floyd walked out to the rim where he was posted to keep a look out.

"They made me write that scroll, in the sunlight at the entrance of the cave, and, having heard them use the name, 'Tombstone Valley', I decided to include it. None of them could read well enough to check it out properly. They made me read the note back to them, three times..."

Joseph said, "You were really clever, changing your name. The 'floydfeit' confirmed my suspicions about Floyd."

"After I'd written my name, I had visions of you, Joseph, trying to come out alone, and them capturing him. I was paranoid. Then they knocked me out. They must have bound me again then. I slept until Joseph woke me.

"I never want to go through anything like that ever again..."

On the first 'retelling', Joseph had said, "You won't ever have to." 

They sat, silent, again thinking of their escape.

***

Joseph asked, "What did you think of the hangings, Phillip?"

"Those murderous thugs got what they deserved and I'm sure Poisy heard about it too. She won't show her face in the city again!"

"Taking people's breath away like that; they all have souls, and they'll never get a chance to confess or be forgiven..." Joseph spoke his thoughts.

"You heard what King Lemuel said; neither Jim nor Jardie wanted forgiveness, and Floyd was only sorry because he hadn't gained money with an easy life. If they were still here, I believe they'd plan worse next time and with more knowledge so they could get away with it. The world is a better place without them. I wouldn't want them still out there, waiting around the corner for an innocent fellow to pass by so they could steal from him, or steal him; would you?"

"No; I agree," Joseph said. He wanted to pursue this more, but felt it might be wiser to leave it for another time... dead is better; Philip's right... but, I'd like to see them in chains and made to work hard for their food; perhaps do something good... build something lasting... He shook his head, imagining Floyd deliberately jeopardizing his work so that whatever he built wouldn't stand or last. Imagine if they were commissioned to build a bridge. Would I want to walk across it? He shook his head again.

"What?" Philip asked. When Joseph shook his head again, he demanded, "Tell me! You're cooking up something and I want to know..."

Joseph couldn't keep it quiet, he told Philip about Floyd being in chains and building a bridge. They both broke into laughter and Philip took to inventing other scenarios; work that could be done wrongly, constructions that would look strong but wouldn't last or stand...