Part 15 - Ten Gold Crown

It was, now, less than ten minutes till sunset. 

Jardie, with the fur hat under his arm, rode his horse across the river-bridge, towards the city gate.

Tethering the horse in the security of the city post, and tossing the groom a farthing, Jardie sauntered through the open gate, unchallenged. He intended to view the 'lay of the land' before he returned, to walk around the outside of the wall, to 'Pauper's Place'. Just inside the gate, he was quickly grasped, a soldier on either side.

Hauled to stand before a captain, who snatched the fur hat from his armpit, asking, "What have we here? It's early summer and you have a fur hat?"

Cursing loudly, Jardie demanded, "Unhand me, you mongrels!"

Receiving a punch to his face, Jardie found himself thrown face down on the road, and frisked. He felt the bag he had taken from 'Appie' torn from his belt. A soldier stood, keeping his foot on Jardie's back. Another held a sword, pointed at his face.

"Fetch Captain Randell!"

The captain, who was speaking with Karl, hurried across to the captive. Taking the moneybag in his hand, he opened it. Ten gold crown, and one silver ring shone into his discerning eyes.

"Where did you get this?" Randell demanded of Jardie.

"If y'll let me up, I'll tell ya," Jardie replied, inwardly relaxing, now believing that the military here looked for 'Appie' and not for kidnappers.

When Jardie stood, the captain asked again, "Where did you get the ten crown... and the ring?"

"That thieving little kid had it... he's the one you want. I think he were hidin' from you all. He got it from rich folks... the ring too..."

"Where is he?" Randell demanded.

"I got him safe; Sir," Jardie said respectfully, now hoping that there was some reward in it for him. Then, as he remembered that 'Appie' was with Philip, their kidnapped hostage, beads of perspiration rose on his brow like a row of glassy pearls. 

"Where... have you got him... safe?"

"That, Sir, I'm not saying; not till I have me own safety assured, Sir..."

"We'll assure your safety, all right!" the captain said grimly. "Lock him away, and make sure he's kept safe."

While Jardie was hauled off, cursing and struggling, a quad of guards following, Randell conferred with Karl and three captains. Within minutes, a soldier was sent to fetch Jardie's clothes; the latter being escorted to a castle interrogation room in his shabby underwear.

***

It was some minutes after sunset when Captain Randell, whose size closely resembled Jardie's, rode towards the woods where a growing band of soldiers awaited.

Tethering the horse, and followed distantly by a dozen soldiers, disguised as vagrants, Randell climbed to the rim at the top of the valley; then, as the Jardie look-a-like, he stepped around the rim, waiting.

"Jardie; Jardie! At last —have y' got the gold?"

Floyd popped up from a crop of sparse undergrowth where he had been lazing, staring down the hill, hoping to see Jardie coming with his long-awaited 'easy-money.'

The captain recognized the castle fuel-man, Floyd, and felt pleased. Such treachery. Having absconded that morning, Floyd had helped action the life-threatening abduction. Young Joseph was right. How easily this felon had fallen into his hands.

"Here, Floyd, let me show you what a hundred crown look like," the captain called.

Something in Randell's tone; something in the cultured accent; this uncharacteristic offer; the 'early' sinking sun; and Floyd caught the smell of reverse treason. It didn't sound at all like Jardie... It dawned on him —this wasn't Jardie; it was someone else!