Part 5 - 'I'm a Prisoner of My Promises'

Joseph was unhappy. How could he explain to the majestic King Lemuel and his beautiful wife, Queen Lois, that he wanted his 'old' life back —to care for the beggars and the widow woman who took in homeless children because he, Joseph, was able to help the widow with money, wood, and food and that destitute folks in the city depended on him. If he became crown prince, who would take care of them?

King Lemuel had never once asked Joseph what he wanted, and Joseph felt sure that no one considered his feelings, thoughts or ideas on any matter. Who would believe that a pauper would not want to be a prince? he mused.

What about Liliana? As Joseph thought of the beautiful Liliana, a wistful smile crossed his face. If he had such a position as a prince, he could dare to think; perhaps; one day; perhaps, yes, he might, one day, reach and touch the impossible star.

Instead of kissing a flower or a leaf, perhaps he might even kiss her hand, or, dare to kiss her cheek...

His past was a dream —a lonely memory hidden in the deepest part of his heart where he forced his unshed tears.

Sir Pippin tested Joseph's reading skills and knowledge and told him that he was most uneducated. Although he could read and had a good knowledge of words and their usage, he had little knowledge of the world outside the royal city. Five tutors were appointed to teach him history, languages, geography, mathematics, reading, writing skills, and grammar; with kingdom law and map-reading to follow when he had made sufficient progress. Lessons would take the largest portion of each day. A sun-lit chamber was set aside as Joseph's schoolroom.

The small dining room was where the king and queen would take breakfast with him; but he, alone, would take his evening meal here. All other time, save sleeping, Joseph would spend in the presence of King Lemuel, wherever his royal majesty was, to learn about kingship. Joseph was to listen to all the king's judgments and to learn from him.

A place was assigned for Joseph to stand, to the side, and beneath the dais upon which the thrones of the king and queen were situated. The king's advisors stood with Joseph. The lad, in his mindless, cheerless state, had no idea of the great privilege he had been accorded.

Joseph's unhappiness increased. He did not appreciate, or like, the training to become a prince. Lessons were somewhat enjoyed, reading, of course, history and geography were favorites; but he disliked languages and mathematics. Learning to write properly; to hold the quill correctly and control it to make the letters form accurately made his fingers feel clumsy and it was then he wished he was outside, in the fresh air, chopping wood.

His new clothes were unfamiliar and restrictive; he must get used to wearing leather boots and he was to be tutored on how to bow to the king and queen; what to say in their presence and how to address their Royal Majesties.

Joseph worried constantly about his beggar friends and the old folk; the widow and her children. He didn't sleep very well, other than on the floor rug.

One night, unable to rest at all, Joseph crept to the kitchen where he gathered the leftover food and asked a servant who was refueling the huge kitchen stove fires, to take it to the poor at the wall in the city. Having been assured that his wishes would be obeyed, the lad slept deeply for the remainder of the night. A castle guard had followed him to the kitchen and back.

He longed to go out and visit Liliana and wondered who did the gardening now. Perhaps Liliana liked the new gardener more than she liked him? In his dreams, Liliana seemed further away from him than ever. Like a star in the eastern sky, he feared she would grow dimmer in the light of his own unwanted promotion. "I will never forget you, Liliana," he whispered. The following night, he couldn't sleep even down on the floor rug, so he went to the library to read.

Joseph read from the Bible. He read about Jesus; how Jesus fed the hungry, healed the sick and gave sight to the blind. 'Whosoever receiveth children . . . receiveth Me,' he read, and, 'Whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because you belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.'

Joseph longed to help more of the needy people he had seen and known in his city, but now he had to serve and impress rich people. Learning to say the right things; to say them in French and German; to bow correctly. He had promised to obey.

I'm a prisoner of my promises, he told himself, feeling miserable. "Please God," he prayed softly, "Help me do what is right, even if I have to give up being a prince. I'm only in training. Perhaps they won't want me at the end of the time. I want to help the homeless, the orphaned children, dear old Dolly —they were my family..." He brushed tears away as faces and names of the poor and disabled flashed across his mind. "I have to help them."

Again, he returned to the kitchen and sorted the small food portions, those considered 'leftovers' and stale food, placing it into a large bowl. This time, he had to wake the servant to ask him to take it to the folk at the wall. The man demanded payment. Joseph replied that he owned not even a quarter of a farthing, a tad.

"Surely you c'n oblige, young sir," the servant persisted, "in y' high and lofty position y' can give me a few tads. What are y'? A page? Surely, they give y' an allowance?" His piercing eyes wandered across the rich fabric of Joseph's new tunic. "Y' can tell me what y' do, can't y'" What y' are here for? What do y' do all day?"

Joseph remembered his promises and knew he couldn't answer this man's questions, so he said, "I don't have any coins, none at all. I don't receive even a tad; I have no allowance. But, keep an account; one day I'll repay you, with interest." Joseph felt sure he could go back to chopping wood if necessary.

The servant seemed satisfied and said he would keep a 'finger account' of what Joseph owed. "One tad each night that y' want me to take the food," the servant said. "I'm real busy y' know; I have to keep this monstrous place fuelled with wood 'n coal. It's a huge task 'n I'm never done."

Joseph swallowed. He knew the man would find it much more taxing after the summer when the weather grew colder. "All right," he agreed, "a tad each night, but you must make sure that you take food every night."

Joseph knew the tads would soon add into pennies and that after a few months, he would owe a much larger sum than 'just a few tads'.