Part 18 - The Conspiracy

Part 18 - The Conspiracy ©2018CarolynAnnAish

King Lemuel could gain nothing coherent from his wife and upon questioning Lady Bradley; he found her answers disturbing; the boy declaring he wanted a mother —that he had spoken of marriage? Of still being an orphan? It seemed hopelessly confusing and much out of place.

The king realized, as had Lady Bradley, that this was no place to find comfort and resolve for the queen's distress. Giving her needed support, he guided her down the steps, all the way to their quarters where she reclined on a chaise with her face turned away from him. She sobbed and seemed in a worse state than ever. Women attendants hovered around, but the king waved them away.

Sitting beside her, he turned her towards him, wrapping his arms around her, rocking her as he may have, a child.

"Tell me what grieves you, dear heart," he prompted.

Between sobs, she replied, "What... have we done? What... have... we... done?"

King Lemuel froze. Releasing her, he stood, demanding, "What are you asking of me? -and why? What have WE done?" He sat again, asking, "You refer to Joseph?" the incredulity in his voice made her weep more. "What we have done, for Joseph, is to take him in; to make him what he is today; perhaps to be our son?"

The king stood, feeling helpless and angry. Looking at Lady Bradley, he saw that she too, wept, though not as grievously as his queen.

Striding to the door, he spoke to an upper woman servant, commanding, "If the queen stops weeping soon, send for me; if she weeps more than an hour, send for me." Turning, he spoke to the messenger, "Have Doctor Wells attend the queen and bring me his assessment; also, find a captain to search for Sir Joseph, and have him taken to his school room. Inform me when he's there."

Captain Karl was summoned and commanded to use all available men of his company to carry out the king's command.

When the captain informed the king that Joseph had left the castle on his horse, King Lemuel said, "You, Captain, were charged with Sir Joseph's safety, so discover for us, who followed him when he left the battlements, and if anyone rode with him, or followed him, then fetch him back!"

Returning to the queen's quarters, which were situated next to his own, the king found she still wept and could not speak to him. Doctor Wells had been unable to discover any illness and decided to wait there for the king's return.

Drawing the doctor aside, King Lemuel asked, "What have you have found?"

"Sire, I do believe you already know. Her Majesty's tears are a combination of all she has not shed over the years. I have said it to you, too, Sire, often, to let your guard down and to allow emotion to be released and..."

Interrupting, the king ordered, "Leave us. I will discover what triggered this off, I will." Shaking his head, he strode away, saying, under his breath, "This will never happen to me. We control ourselves of this, this, childish malady, weeping. We must never weep..."

An hour later, when it was reported that she had stopped weeping, he was also told that she did not want to speak with him, but she wanted to talk with Joseph. Could the king send Sir Joseph to her?

Irritated, more than he could contain, King Lemuel visited his queen again.

He knelt in front of her, taking her hands in his, asking, "Tell me about it, Lois; tell me what made you weep like that and why did you ask, 'what have we done'?"

Tears rolled from the blue eyes, and she spoke in a broken voice, "I want... to tell you, Lemuel; but you... you need to hear it... as Joseph said it."