Part 13 - Tombstone Valley

Joseph peered through the brush, looking down on Tombstone Valley. Already the area was plunged in shadow. He had about an hour until sunset, then the king's soldiers would move in.

Slithering on his stomach, Joseph worked his way across the rim at the top of the valley. Feeling fear rise within him, he lay still to pray. —I need you to guide, me, Lord; help me find Philip; help me rescue him. Even if there are hang-ups or glitches, help me keep my head and play the part so I can find Philip...

Joseph vividly recalled King Lemuel's words as he had charged him not to take unnecessary risks; "We don't want to lose you both, —we cannot lose you, Joseph," the king had said, with unrestrained anxiety in his voice.

Joseph again realized how different his life was now. He'd grown unused to this outdoor experience. If I had my way, he told himself fiercely, I'd never lose my skills of the outdoors; look at me now; I'm feeling it; kind of fearful, to be out here alone! I need all the nerve I can muster to help me through this. I need the courage of David facing Goliath, the trust of Job, the wisdom of Solomon, and the dependence of Daniel in the lions' den...

Joseph continued around the rim, then, at a more concealed place, he slithered downward, downward, feeling sure that the criminals would have someone posted as a lookout. He prayed he wouldn't happen upon the sentry, but that he would somehow find their lair, the place where Philip was being held. If he could free Philip and they could hide until sunset, then the king's soldiers would rescue them.

This was the plan; but as Captain Randell had warned, with murderous brigands, nothing could be expected to run to a 'plan'.

Joseph saw a 'tombstone' figure ahead. He crawled to the tall rock and leaned his back upon it, catching his breath. When he could breathe normally, he snaked around the rock and across to another, on and on, crawling closer to the hillside where the caves were situated.

The mouth of one cave, close now, yawned its mouth at him. He prepared to stand and run to it.

"Aha! What do we have here?"

Joseph was pounced upon and pinned to the ground, a dagger blade at his throat. The man, in his soft deep voice, whispered, "Answer, but keep it quiet —what are you doin' coming down like that on us, secret like?"

"I... I was trying to get to the caves down here... to where someone can hide," Joseph bluffed, yet knew he told the truth. His mind raced; how could he get out of this dilemma? He realized he must change his speech to fit his clothes.

"And who's it that you be hiding from?"

"I... I got some'it that some folks might want... and... and city soldiers might be lookin' for me... I... I fink they are."

The man released Joseph, and dragged him to stand; still pointing the dagger at him, demanding, "Show me! What did y' steal?"

Feeling so grateful to Captain Randell that he was almost overcome, Joseph said, "Aw, it's mine, it is..." then, as the man pushed the point of the dagger at him threateningly, he added, "well, I c'n share it if y' want." Pulling the bag of farthings off his rope belt, he tendered it.

Snatching the bag, the man, rubbed the coins together within the bag so that he could tell they were farthings. "A nice little catch, but I'm not fooled! You weren't hidin' from city soldiers for this lot!" He jabbed the dagger upwards, into the air, moving closer to Joseph who, backing away, pulled the other bag from his rope belt. The lad threw the bag down and dropped to his knees, plucking up the grass as he had seen one of the paupers do when they threw a tantrum at not having grabbed enough food to eat.

"Ah, there, now that's more like it," the man said, rubbing the gold coins together in the thin sack-cloth bag. "Awe, don't take it so hard like; p'raps before the night's out, I'll give y' one back agin. Now, git in that there cave, not ahind y'—over there, the next one; we'll talk about how y' got past our lookout up there on the top. Y're a slimy one—p'raps we'll take y' along wiv' us." He grinned.

Joseph turned and walked ahead of his captor, his head bowed, eyes cast downward. He cowered as the large man strode to his side, draping his muscular arm around his shoulder, saying, "Tell me where y' got such a catch —it's pretty good for a young'un like y'self."

"From rich folks wot had lots to spare," Joseph said, speaking to the ground he walked on.

"Well, don't feel so bad about it now; there's more out there, y' know; much more."

The cave was dark, but the man drew Joseph inward. "Hoy! Show the light; we can't see the way!" he called.

A slim guard drew a thick canvas-like cover back from a narrow opening in the rock at the side of the cave. Joseph's heart sank. Unless the king's soldiers had torches, they would never find them in this dark place. At the man's push, Joseph went ahead to enter the cave beyond. Dim light greeted his dilated eyes.

"Who've that ya got with ya, Jardie?" the rasping voice asked, then Joseph saw the man's face and his heart pounded more. At first glance, he looked like Floyd.

"An accomplice, that's who. One who's after me own heart," the burly Jardie replied. "I'd jest like t' know how he got pass that brother of you'n."

"Pooh! Floyd'd let an elephant pass, he would; we jes' thought it'd be easier for us later if he didn't know we was here; in case like he did get away, or got caught, or some'it."

A female voice came from the back of this cave, "Well, it's time to move; you'd better get that fur hat Jardie, 'n get yourself across the river to the place of rendezvous."

"Ronday what?" Jardie asked, then, "I've got more'n half-hour; I reckon on it only takin' quarter t' get there."

Joseph scanned the cave; it was familiar but seemed smaller than he remembered.

"Sit over there and wait till we find y' some'it useful t' do," Jardie commanded, then, "Look what I found the lad stole..." with that, Jardie tossed the bag with the farthings in it, to the young woman, "you can have it all, Poisy, all for y' own."

Joseph sat on the rocky ground, drawing his feet in, circling them with his arms, behaving as if he were afraid, which he was.

Catching the bag deftly, Poisy tipped it into her palm. Finding her palm too small, she knelt before a small, lit candle, emptying the farthings on the ground. While she counted the stash, Joseph's eyes flew to the back of the cave. Poisy had been in the way before, but now he could see the outline of a person, lying as if trussed up, not moving. He hoped that Philip wasn't unconscious, or worse. How could they escape? He had no hope of the soldiers finding them in here without someone, namely, Philip, or himself, being harmed.

They think I'm one of them; I need to use this to help Philip. But, how do I escape from here, with Philip? Memories from the past flooded his mind, and he closed his eyes, rocking himself as he huddled on his haunches. There had been caves that connected, one with another; he remembered crawling between them, playing 'hidies' with his orphaned friends. How would he remember which cave he was in now?

"Now, then, you; what's y' name?" Jardie said, staring down at Joseph, "What'd they call y'?"

"Appie," Joseph said, for want of a reply; he remembered a small child who couldn't say 'Apples', calling him that.

"Well, Appie, d' y' want a share in our quest, or what?"

"Corse I do," Joseph replied.

"Well, you can stay safe in here, and watch that heap o' stuff over there, an' guard it, not that it's goin' nowheres, an' me an' Poisy'll go out w' Jim an' plan our moves for after I returns from the city..."

"Twenty-two; that's how many," Poisy said, placing the farthings back into the bag and drawing the strings together.

"Say thank you then," Jardie demanded, leaning forward to kiss her, "an' come wi' me; we got'a talk w' Jim about wot he's gonna do with that brover of his."

"Floyd?"

"Yeah, corse I mean Floyd; who else? —Now we got Appie, he can fill Floyd's place... He be one alert kid this Appie." He lowered his voice, saying, "Funny we've not seen 'im afore... but I'm counting that Appie ain't his name at all. I'll find out what Harry knows about 'im later..."