True Colors

Summary: An anti-third kit propaganda piece. (Posted 8.3.17)

Heeeeeey. Sorry for disappearing, dudes and dudettes. I got a job as a journalist for Football Tribe Indonesia! Check that website out, if you want. I'm on an exam break from the job, though.

10.6.18: I quit.

***

Augsburg, November 19, 2016

There wasn't much to hate about Augsburg, Hertha thought as she walked behind her boys to the end of Schwabenstadion's tunnel. He was a nice enough person, a manageable opponent, and more importantly, a true Traditionsverein.

So when he cringed at her team's bright pink third jersey, she beamed. "I know," she snickered, "I wonder if the fans are gonna comment on this." And his hideous neon yellow kit too, definitely.

"Of course," Augsburg replied before looking back ahead.

Dammit, now this I dislike, Hertha thought, clenching her fists, Is small talk so hard, Augsie?

"Hey," she called after a long, awkward silence. It got his attention. "Worst of luck!"

In 'response', Augsburg pursed his lips into a tense expression that was probably meant to be a smile.

But then, when they walked into the pitch, he smiled for real, and when she looked at what he saw, she smiled, too.

***

HERTHA BSC, NUR ECHT IN BLAU-WEISS!

ROT-GRÜN-WEISS SIND EURE FARBEN!

VEREINE MÜSSEN AUTENTISCH BLEIBEN!

***

Translations (bold is the FCA fans and italic is the Herthaners):

- Hertha BSC, only real in blue and white!

- Red, green, and white, those are your colors!

- Clubs must stay authentic!

I found pics of the banners on Legio Augusta's website: http://augsburg.original1907.de/

Why did I write this chapter? Well, exactly the same reason why these fans protested. Third kits are becoming increasingly ridiculous nowadays, and frankly, they're unnecessary. Why can't away kits use the club's secondary color(s)? Why didn't Hertha make their away kits dark blue (like last season) instead of plain white so they can wear it in the Schwabenstadion (WWK Arena)? I mean, that'd contrast Augsburg's white home kits just fine.

It's for commercial reasons, probably. So they can expand their collection or whatever. Blech. So hipster. Sadly, I know these protests won't be heard by the high-ups (just like the ones about 50+1 or ticket prices lol), but it never hurts to try!