#TeamInsidesAndEntrails Pt. VI - @RaeKitano's "Non-Believer"

Non-Believer

By RaeKitano

The retching sound coming from the other side of the door tantalised the senses and Vera knew only the desire to feed. Whimpered cries of fear lured her against the door, hands pressed against the white paint, blood trickling from her fingers. Fresh meals were easy to come by, fuelling the frenzy within Vera as she smashed her fists against the door. Flesh flaking, skin cracked and peeling did not deter Vera from getting to her meal. Screams penetrated the house as the door splintered. Again and again, Vera did not relent her attack until the door gave way. Cowered in the corner of the blue-tiled room, a plump woman held a stick in trembling hands.

"Don't... come... any... closer."

The words meant nothing to Vera as she approached.

"Please... Vera."

Vera paused at the sound of her name. The sound was foreign, yet Vera understood its reference was directed to her. Yet, no recollection came and Vera continued forward.

"Vera... please remember?"

Once more she paused, hands now outstretched ready to consume her meal. There was something about this woman quivering in terror, something Vera realised.

"Vera. Remember the can of peaches." Marcy called out from the kitchen.

Vera rolled her eyes and called out, "I'm not senile yet. I won't forget."

Marcy's grey-haired head peered around the doorframe. "Like when I asked you to buy milk, and you forgot?"

"I remembered everything else."

"Yes you did, Vera. I need the peaches for tonight's meal, so please don't forget."

"I wont, my love."

Marcy entered the hall, leaning heavily on her walking stick.

"You don't have to come to see me off," Vera told her, concerned Marcy should rest rather than preparing dinner.

"Not goin' to keep this ol' girl down. While I'm still alive, I'll come kiss you goodbye."

Vera raised an arthritic finger and caressed Marcy's weathered face.

"I love you," Vera murmured.

Marcy smiled, placing her hand over Vera's. "I love you, too. Please be careful. If you see any of those undead they're talking about, come straight back home."

Vera huffed, "Undead. What has this world come too?"

"Vera, please. The national guard are televising warnings, so it must be serious."

"Like the time they warned us about the possible terror attack last month, or the month before that. People have been watching too much of that Buffy Vampire Slayer, or whatever it's called."

Marcy laughed, "Silly. They're undead, not vampires."

"Thank god for that." Vera rolled her eyes, seeing no difference in the imaged imagined threat.

"Don't fret Marcy. It's all a ploy to control us through fear. Obviously, nothing was working and now we have the undead."

"Be careful. Take the car." Marcy looked up at Vera, a look of pleading on her face.

"Never fear my love. I intend to take the car. This old body couldn't walk the four blocks even if I wanted too."

Vera pressed a kiss against Marcy's lips and left the house. In their old reliable white sedan, Vera reversed out the drive and into the deserted street.