#TeamClassic Pt. VII - @KarlOConnor's "Devil's Playground"

Devil's Playground

by KarlOConnor

I hurt myself today ... to see if I still feel ... I focus on the pain ... the only thing that's real ...

Do onto others before they do onto you.

He trudged on through unending deluge in an utter daze, aware and unaware both at once. His white shirt anything but white, his jacket torn, and his collar loosened. There is blood on his clothing, most of which is not his own though he is responsible for some its existence. The end of the world has come, the end of his world. Everyone he knew is gone. Friends, family, parishioners, they are all gone and only he is left to walk a path, maybe the path to his own crucifixion.

Maybe he could just stay here, drop to his knees right where he is, wait it out in a peaceful wide open space. Peace can only last so long for they would come to him sooner or later then there will be no need to worry about survival, no need to wonder as to where he goes from here, no need to worry about managing from day to day.

Doing such a thing he feels he will let them all down, everyone who knew and trusted him, he knows they would not want him to give up no matter how strong his weakening faith may or may not be so he continues on, moving forward. His faith however may not be the only thing weakening.

Walking on for what feels like an eternity, what are the chances that when he feels as if he can walk no more that he has come to be on hallowed ground? A church stands whole and strong before him, the largest he has seen in some time, or at least this is what he believes. Has he been here before?

The day, this day so far is indeed peaceful, it is also quiet, bright and lonely. He hesitantly enters the building and it is soon clear that it is free of infestation so he walks up the centre aisle, genuflects and blesses himself, then moves inwards and sits. A moment or two passes before he moves to his knees. Clasping his hands he speaks out loud in the hopes that the little faith he does hold on to will show him the way forwards.

'Oh Lord, why have you forsaken me? Forsaken us? Your children who follow you to the ends of the world and beyond? Tell me who has opened up hell's gates and allowed the dead to come through and roam free? If you battle Satan then it would appear Satan is winning. For Lucifer himself has come above ground and he has brought an army with him.

I don't know how much longer I can go on oh Lord. Please show me the way, show me a sign that all will be well. Give me the strength to go on and not be tempted.'

He bows his head and prays in silence, initially not seeing the light that soon shines through the stained glass up high beyond and onto the alter not all so far away, but when he does see that light he can't help but stand and indeed take this moment as a sign. It may just be pure coincidence though he much rather take it as if his prayer has been answered. Maybe it has been.

From the back of the church, just inside the doorway a voice speaks ...

'Father ... are you alone?

He struggles and almost trips as he attempts to move out into the aisle and on to meet and make contact with the first sign of life he has come across in he doesn't know how long. Composing himself he answers the question asked of him in a manner that only a man of the cloth can, and of course his answer comes in the form of a question.

'How alone can one truly be within our Lord's house?'

A young lady had entered, shaking and clearly in distress. Perception may have slightly been lost. She may have been here more than a moment or two, so too he may be, having been lost in a moment with the lord. This is not a time to get philosophical. In a way Father Michael Anthony once again had a parishioner in his care and one who needed a moment of his time.