#TeamInsidesAndEntrails Pt. III - @benaddict31's "When the Night Gets Dark"

When the Night Gets Dark

By benaddict31

CHAPTER-1

5 pm, Tennessee.

"Hey, Brian, can you come down now? We do not have the whole day. I'm leaving in ten minutes with or without you." Tristan called his friend again.

Brian was busy upstairs getting ready for the party. It was Tristan's idea to drive for two hours on a Friday night to attend the post-Halloween party hosted by his cousin Matt's new neighbours. When he first put the idea in front of Brian, he refused. He didn't want to waste the only time he had with his girlfriend, Mikela. They wanted to spend their time at home watching movies and cuddling instead. Yet, Tristan persisted until Brian agreed. He convinced Mikela to come with them, too.

Brian and Tristan were friends since high school. They attended different colleges, and after four years, shifted to Tennessee. Now, they shared a two-bedroom flat together, and Mikela lived four flats away with her colleague, Ronica.

"You two done? I'm coming up, man." Tristan walked up the stairs, sending a text to his sister:

Ready or not, here I come.

Tristan didn't waste time in knocking before entering.

"What the hell, Tristan! Ever heard of knocking?" Brian yelled.

He and Mikela were lying in bed together, half-naked. Grabbing a shirt from the floor, Brian rushed towards Tristan. "You are so dead. I told you we'll be down in a minute."

Hiding his face behind his hands, Brian slid back. "I didn't hear you, okay? Just relax. It's not like I saw anything."

Mikela, who was completely clothed now, combed her hair in front of the mirror. Her floral blue dress covered the top of her knees. Applying another coat of chocolate-coloured lipstick, she said, "We know you're innocent, Tristan. Next time we're meeting at my place, Brian. I told you I can't stand this guy."

"Yeah, why would you like the only guy who cares for his best friend?" Tristan stared at the mirror. "You both remember I'm the one who is responsible for this touchy, and- and the deep relationship you two have, right?"

Pressing her lips together, Mikela held Brian's hand and kissed him. "Yeah, we do, Tris, you're like a Cupid. Thank you so much for hacking your friend's account and sending texts to random girls. How very sweet of you. Don't you ever get tired of being a philanthropist?"

"No, it's a gift," Tristan rolled his eyes. "Don't forget you fell in love. You gotta repay me one day. Don't worry I know how, and it's easy."

From the smile on Tristan's face, Brian knew it would be something weird or unrealistic. "What is it?" he asked.

"You're going to name your first kid, Tristan junior. How does that sound?" Brian and Mikela shared a look of disgust, which Tristan ignored. "See, it's so god damn easy. Aww, he is going to love his young, charming, and not to forget, good-looking uncle, Tristan." He shrugged.

" I think I'm getting nauseous." Mikela covered her mouth with her hands.

"Maybe you are pregnant," Tristan said, over-enthusiastically.

Mikela answered, "No, I'm fine, Tristan. Can we meet you downstairs? Give us a minute."

Assessing them once again like a responsible parent, Tristan left the room.