03 | New Year's Fiesta 2024 Grand Winner - sparklet11

The Failed Etherial by sparklet11

Mocha & Magic buzzed with teeming coffeeholics and pastry lovers on the warm evening of the last day of the ambivalent year. Nestled at the heart of the enchanted city of Manchester, it was the ideal location for Ameera and her family to spend a somewhat-happy time, tasting the signature Mo-Ma cappuccinos and zaatar-filled pastries, while waiting to watch the flamboyant fireworks that illuminated the glum sky, through the glass panels. It had become a yearly ritual and that was the least the middle-class family could afford in terms of celebration.

Tahir rushed ahead of his parents to catch the corner seat, right next to the window to watch the mesmerizing fireworks better. It was the same every year that the family had memorized the order of the colours in which the fireworks appeared.

Ameera rendered to place the order like the obedient girl she had always been. Her dad couldn't be prouder of his princess as her mother spoke, "Next year, it should be from your pocket"

Ameera grinned and nodded in assurance. As she made her way through the overwhelming crowd of hysterical men and women towards the counter, a rush of adrenaline reminded her what was upcoming. The next year was not like the previous years. It was her graduation and her first step towards changing the broken lifestyle of her diligent family.

Being immigrants to this gorgeous land, their family struggled hard to meet ends. And their only hope was Ameera, the intellectual. The weight of anticipation and reliability her family held upon her made her sceptical to move forward to the next year.

"Four Mo-Ma cappuccinos, one with less sugar and four zaatar manakish,"

"And would you like to add something sweet to your tangy selection? Try our-"

"No, Thanks, "Ameera snapped the barista's excited advertisement. Though she could feel her dejection, the barista cheerfully entered the order into her system.

"Manners, child."

A firm, cacophonous voice addressed Ameera's abrupt behaviour. She swirled in the direction of the authoritative voice, to see a fair middle-aged woman beaming. And every aspect of that woman's appearance was eerie and incongruous. To be more precise, the woman wore a long velvety purple frock, her medium-length jet black hair parted sideways, shining with tints of silver. Her neck was barely visible, filled with all sorts of silver ornaments. Nobody would have seen such an incompatible sense of fashion like that of the woman's.

"None of your business," Ameera snarled.

"Careful, honey. Only you can see me."

Ameera scoffed at the coffee brewed. Did the psychotic woman think Ameera as a naïve silk cloth for her to weave her insensible fiction? Maybe.

"Nice try. But didn't work. "

"Ah! Now I realise why Julius recommended you. Your remarkable candidness. "

"Can you - "

"Miss!" The barista interrupted before Ameera could shut the woman.

"Who are you talking to? "

Ameera was dumbfounded. More like retaliated. She decided not to argue with the barista and make a fool of herself.

"Nothing," she retorted.

Ameera picked the cappuccino tray as the woman slowly put her hand around her neck.

"Good decision, honey! I am already loving you!" she squealed invisibly.