#TeamInsidesAndEntrails Pt. IV - @mistichamberlain's "Cure"

Cure

By mistichamberlain

Night was closing in on him and fast. Coby searched through the endless desert sands for even a bit of shelter for the evening. He had been out here for days, walking through this dry, desolate wasteland. People used to live here? He thought as he trekked through the sand.

The setting sun caught a quick reflection of something ahead of him. Coby picked up speed. Although he hadn't seen any in miles, Sleepers could still pop up out of nowhere and he didn't want to be caught in the dark with them. What caught his eye was a welcome sight. An antique VW Van was mostly buried under the dunes. Coby had read about these in ancient history classes. Apparently, vehicles like this used to carry travelers to music concerts and festivals. He had never seen a real one before. Even museums didn't have them! This was the find of a lifetime. It was said most old cars had disintegrated over time, rusting away to nothing.

Coby approached the van with caution, however. One could never be too careful when it came to safety – or Sleepers. The van appeared empty and was the only piece of shelter for miles. Coby decided to bed down here. His excitement rose as he explored the vehicle. He was really going to sleep in a car! This was legendary. None of his friends would believe this! The outside was faded, but the blue and green paint covered in ancient writings and symbols was still prominent. Coby ran his hand around a large circular symbol. He wondered what it meant as he traced the three lines that ran through its center. Other symbols, more nature like in appearance covered the van as well. He wished he had paid more attention in ancient writings class in school.

Inside the van was even more intriguing. Posters hung on the walls, many torn from wind and age. One stuck out to Coby though, perhaps because it was the only whole one remaining. A photo of a band playing on stage was in the center. To the lower right corner of the photo, overlaying the bottom corner were the words "Canned Peaches". Coby ran the words through his head again, Canned Peaches? A band? A concert? He would have loved to have been around when they were playing. So much adventure with the ancient ones, fun, and enjoyment. Totally born in the wrong century.

Although he struggled with the sliding door, Coby finally managed to shut it against the enclosing darkness without incident. A feeling of warmth and safety overcame him and he fell asleep almost instantly.

The sun rose, and Coby did too. The sound of scratching outside the van brought him out of his peaceful stupor. He no longer felt the safety he felt before. He knew that sound all too well. Sleepers were creeping in on him from all sides. It was going to take some skill to get out of here.

Gathering the weapons from his pack, Coby prepared for the one-man battle that would ensue. Luckily, the front and driver side of the van were covered in sand, or else this situation could mean death. Coby pulled out his machete and held it steady as he slowly emerged from the vehicle. The sound of the rusty door got their attention, and fast. Coby was faster. The head of the first Sleeper soon lay at his feet followed quickly by the second. Behind him a scratching noise caught his attention. Coby turned just in time to catch the third Sleeper as it jumped from the rooftop.

Time to go. He pulled his pack out of the van. Got to keep movin'. The ancient ruins couldn't be much further. According to lined maps, he should be approaching the city soon. But in the never-ending sands, one could get turned around easily. Coby left the van behind, but took the Canned Peaches poster. His friends back home would never believe him. He also decided to take a quick moment and sketch out the scene of the van buried in the sand, being sure to capture the naturistic details of the ancient symbols on the sides. One poster inside the van had the letters P-E-A-C-E associated with the symbol- PEACE, something one did not get to experience much of in his society.