Chapter 27: End of the Chase

She had spent nearly a month in a coma, laying in her own bed while nurses came in at times to take care of her when needed. She woke up one day with little to no memory of what happened to her, the fight, or even being kidnapped. None of it was there. She had to get used to walking again since she was stiff from the time she spent laying down, and was helped by the team as best as they could without annoying her. She would write in bed as she recovered and even tried sparing again when she had the strength to. It was amazing to her how one month in bed could make a person so weak. She was made a member of the Avengers though they insisted she would need to continue with her practice. She agreed to it then later found online the level of concern that was brought to her over her health, her constant kidnappings, and the over all ending to her year long journey. She found more readers were buying her books, and that there was a fanbase. Despite how everything turned out, she still felt as thought something was missing, and it pained her to think about it. One day she was sitting on the couch in her room looking out at the skyline as the sun was setting on the city. Skittles was happily seated at her side trying to drink the tea she had in her mug. The feeling that something was missing continued to bother her but she couldn't place it. Then, when the sun began to creep under the horizon she remembered. "Where's Loki?" She asked softly and looked down at her cat. Skittles was still Skittles, no tricks this time. She then looked to her mirror and only found her reflection. She looked around the room a few more times but found she was still alone. "Loki. . ." She said softly as she set down her tea. She picked up her cat and walked over to the windows to look out at the city that never sleeps. A sad expression fell on her face the more she felt alone knowing he wasn't there. She leaned against the window for a moment as she pet Skittles down her back. She wouldn't day much, only kept all of it bundled up in her thoughts. He wasn't there. He wasn't coming either. Did he even know she was alive? The more she thought about him the more it weighed on her heart. She set her cat down on the couch again and then sat in front of her mirror. She watched her own reflection for a while hoping to see him appear in the room or in the mirror and surprise her. He didn't. There was still nothing but silence. With a deep sigh she got up and rested in her bed with her laptop out in front of her. She worked on her next few chapters and short stories for a few hours before it was late and she had to go to sleep. She set the laptop down on a side table, turned off a light and laid on her side. Skittles jumped up on to her bed as the usual routine went and curled up by her feet. Even if she escaped to her dreams, she knew sleep wouldn't numb her heart forever.

Days like this went on for a while where she felt alone and realized he wasn't there nor coming back again. It brought her to a point where she was too disappointed to even join the others in movies, outtings, or try to talk to Steve when he attempted to cheer her up. She wouldn't tell them about what she felt with Loki, nor what what she suspected he felt of her. It eventually got to a point where she wasn't leaving her room. Finally, Nat decided she would drag her out of her room, even the building if possible to try and get her mind off whatever it was that was hurting her. She knocked on the door repeatly until (y/n) walked over and slowly opened it.
"Wha-"
"We're going out."
". . . Have fun then," (y/n) was about to close the door when Nat grabbed it and blocked it with her foot.
"No no no, when I say we're going out, I mean you and I are going out and with a few of the guys."
"Nat I'm really not-"
"It's not an option. Get dressed, fix yourself up, you've got an hour before we leave."
"And when I dont?" She tested.
"Then I tell the others about your crush with Loki."
That caught her attention. She froze and opened the door more to look back at Nat. "What are you-?"
"You're the easiest person I've ever read. Besides, his reaction to your assumed death last month also spoke for itself. Now throw yourself together and let's go," She said as she was about to leave, but (y/n) grabbed her wrist. "Why haven't you told anyone?" She asked and Nat looked back for a moment. "I thought about it, but it really isn't any of my business. Besides, If he betrays you then you can learn for yourself."
She let Nat go to walk off back to where she was to get ready, leaving (y/n) quiet. She had an hour to work with, should be enough time. She sighed and did as she was told and dolled herself up for the night. She wore a short Chinese Cheongsam in her preferred color. Her hair was pulled back into a bun with chopsticks through it to keep it in place. She topped off the outfit with matching shoes and earrings before finishing with her make-up. The hour had passed and she went downstairs to meet with Nat, two of the guys and Pepper.

"Hey, we finally get to see you again! You look great!" She said but only gained a small nod from (y/n). "Thanks. You guys look pretty nice yourselves." It was pretty obvious that she was still under the weather, but they wouldn't bring it up since they knew she wouldn't talk about it anyway. She followed the girls on their short walk to an SUV that would take them to center city for the night out. Tony and Clint were talking on the drive there about where they were going and about the food and drinks that were there. But (y/n) only looked out the window and rarely spoke when someone tried to start a conversation with her.

When they were dropped off they were greeted by flashing cameras and reporters as usual, but while the others smiled and walked in, She completely ignored them and made a straight line for the inside of the club. They were then taken to the highest point in the building where all the action was laid out. Right away Tony dragged everyone to the bar area where they had curved leather seats centered around a circular table in the middle of them in their own red roped off section of the place. They were given drinks and food, the best of service with a skyline view of the city. (Y/n) was still depressed but even she had to admit that this new place was something pretty impressive. When the food came out that made her mood improve a little. She couldn't say no to food and great drinks.

Two hours had passed and while the others were out dancing, (y/n) took her drink in hand as she walked out to the balcony to look over the nightly view she loves of the city. She leaned over the railing looking down at the ground from how high she was, then back out to the bay again. The night was cool, and there was definitely a chill in the air, especially given how high up she was. She held her arms as she felt the chilling wind rush by her again, until it stopped when a black jacket was placed over her shoulders. She jumped, and turned around to see Loki, finally standing beside her in an all black suit. "You never did like the cold. No sense in standing out here then," he said calmly as her eyes lit up. She set her drink down on the railing and immediately latched on to him, hugging him as tightly as she could while he did the same. "I missed you so much. . ." He mutter softly. "So did I," she quietly answered. As she loosened her grip on him, she punched him in the shoulder and he flinched and back up a bit. "Where have you been?! Why didn't you come to see me?!" She questioned and he couldn't help but smirk with a small snicker. "You must have missed me dearly then," He teased. "We've established that! Where were you?" She asked again as his eyes looked down at the floor. "When I saw them take you away, I was convinced that I must have killed you by mistake. My other attacks on you weren't working, and with each throw your abilities threw back something harder. I thought that if I could distract you with the pain long enough I might be able to break that spell. You instead hit your head harshly on the ground and you slowly began to bleed internally, at least that's what the green giant was saying when he examined you. I was positive you were gone."
"It was a coma. . . I couldn't remember anything before or after so they explained it to me but it didn't make sense." She said and looked away.
"Please understand it was never my intention for things to go that way. By the time we realized you had been taken by them I already knew what they would do to you. I didn't know how to fix it," he explained. She moved closer to him again and gently held his hand. "It may have been a bit much, but you still saved me to some degree," she said as he looked back up at her. "And you're alright with that?" He asked. She nodded, "I am."
The two were silent and he looked back out at the skyline as she did earlier. "What happens now?" He asked though hesitantly. She watching the water in the bay from a distance as she held his hand and answered, "Well, whatever we want I guess. . . Except. . ."
"Except?"
"You're gonna be chasing me for a while," she said and he smirked as he swiftly moved his arms around her waist to pull her closer. "I think I already have," he said and held her closer as he kissed her on the balcony to end their night.

-------------

End.