Chapter 26: The Fault is with You

Once she had pulled away from him after their kiss, the two looked at each other for a moment, studying one another. He was looking to be sure she was fine again, but her, (y/n) didn't seem like she was still herself. The blue in her eyes slowly started to return to her and she gently moved her palm to his side, using a tremendous force to knock him back through the mirrors. He groaned as he stood up and placed a hand on his jaw. "Damn it, (y/n)!" He yelled as he tried to stand up again. He cracked his neck and went after her with his daggers but with her abilities she could easily continue to push him away. "Difficult as usual," he hissed and tried again.

Meanwhile, the Avengers were still fighting off the Chitauri to get to their leader. Steve threw his shield in a way to have it bounce off the heads of the aliens and knock them around until it came back to him. Thor and hulk only need to slam down on the ground to knock large clusters of them out, while the two spies fired at them from a distance.
"I got em!" Clint said as he fired an arrow over at the Chitauri leader. The alien dodged the arrow and fired back a dagger in return. Steve's shield knocked the dagger out of the air to save Clint while he ducked down behind a few alien bodies to change tips. "Any chance we made a dent in them yet? And what happened to (y/n) and Loki?" He asked.
"Doesn't look like it. As for the other two, I don't know," Nat answered and fired her guns at a few more of them.

Back in the area Loki had taken her two, he was once again weakened on the ground, staggering to get up. "(Y/n). . ." He said, "please. . . Look at yourself. . . This isn't you,"he huffed and she only watched him coldly from where she stood. "(Y/n) please. . . Don't make me kill you," he begged and she began walking towards him. As she was ready to make her final move on him, he vanished and reappeared behind her with full health. She turned in surprise and felt him stab her in the side with a dagger he had kept hidden on him. "(Y/n)!" He yelled. The blade that pierced her side created enough pain that she pushed him back, only be thrown back hard enough that she hit her head harshly on the wall behind her. She collapsed and he rushed to her and held her in his arms. "(Y/n). . . Hey. . . Come on. . . Wake up," he begged and held his palm over her wound yo try and heal her. "(Y/n) please, please wake up. . . Please," he begged again but her eyes remained closed and a bit of blood began to trickle out of her nose as she laid in his arms. "No. . . (Y/n). . . Please don't. . . I didn't. . . It wasn't. . . I tried to avoid anything vital. . . Please wake up," he begged again and held her closer to his shoulder and face before he folded in on her more. He held her tightly, and started to collapse until a wave of energy shot out from him in rage and shattered the last of the glass.

On the battlefield, there were still a handful of Chitauri left after the team mowed down the majority of the enemy. Thor came down with a thundering slam to the ground to finish off half of them while Steve was panting behind a few bodies. "There no end to these damn things?" He asked. "Language," Tony followed with as he blasted them from his position. Steve rolled his eyes just as a green light caught his attention.

Loki had reappeared on the battlefield with a limp girl in his arms. She laid still against him and he gently laid her on a rock. "Loki. . ." Steve said and Tony zoomed in to see the two of them. "That doesn't look good," he muttered and flew over to check on her.
"What happened?" He asked but Loki wouldn't answer. "Hey, what did you do to her?!" Still no answer instead he walked forward towards the last of the Chitauri. He didn't hesitate to fight and take his anger out on them. He slashed and cut through each other them and used his magic to trick them for an upper hand. He slaughtered them. Clint had his bow drawn but he very slowly released it as he watched Loki personally kill each of the remaining enemies. Every bit of his anger poured out with each blow to the alien attackers until he could finally face their leader.
"You survived? What a waste. . . And here I thought she'd win. How did it feel to kill her?" He asked and Loki charged after him. The two were fighting against one another while the team rushed to (Y/n) to check on her wounds and pulse. With each blow Loki delivered to this creature he continued to push him back, until an opening was made and Loki was thrown back instead. He got back up, groaning since he was still injured from his fight with (y/n). He went to make another move when he was grabbed by the throat and lifted into the air. "You're a fool for being so weak with her. . . With us. . . You owe us a debt for your failure and it's due now," he spat and was about to stab Loki when he was stabbed first in the back. The clone in the aliens hand began to vanish while Loki stood behind him. "No. . . It wasn't a weakness. . . It was a strength. . . But now she's dead, and that fault is with you," he hissed and stabbed deeper into his former captor until he stopped breathing and moving. Loki let him fall to the ground, then walked ahead on the frozen ground to see (y/n) one last time. Steve stopped him just a few feet short of where he was with a hand on his shoulder. "We need to take her home. . . You've done enough," he said and walked back to the jet as the others brought her on board. Seeing her lifeless body in Thor's arms in the jet he decided it would be best if he didn't join them. He instead watched them take off and head back to New York, while he vanished from their view.