Chapter 28 - Introducing Him

Warren adjusted the sunglasses on Rhea's face. "You got this," he encouraged. The couple were standing outside a brick townhouse in Ottawa south, ready to meet Rhea's parents. For the record, this was not her idea. If it were up to her, she would be at home sleeping in and trying to cure her hangover from the night before. Her boyfriend brought her home from the concert to his hotel, and while she was busy passing out, her phone was blowing up with messages from her idiot brother. The hulk was reminding Rhea to meet their parents before she returned to Toronto. Warren, being big on family or whatever, decided to plot against his girlfriend. He told her they were going for brunch. He lied about how their friends were going to meet them there, and told her to dress up a little. Naive and hung over, Rhea did as she was told.

Thank goodness for the floral dress she packed.

"I don't know whether I want to punch you in the face for lying to me or to disown the hulk," Rhea moaned. "I was in no mood for brunch but this? I won't be able to survive it!"

Warren got a hold of her cheeks and gently squished them. "You can survive anything if I'm here."

"I'm going to disown Harry," Rhea sighed, as her boyfriend rang the doorbell. "It's the right thing to do."

Warren laughed. He grabbed his girlfriend's hand and walked her to the front steps of the townhouse. Rhea should be more upset with the suit-wearer! He went behind her back and read her private text messages! He got Sera to tell him where her parents lived! The girl wouldn't shut up about how bad she felt for Rhea's parents, not having their daughter around. So, that was to be expected out of the traitor but Rhea expected more from the suit wearer.

What's wrong?" Warren asked, picking up on her disheartened expression. He grabbed her fingers and intertwined them with his own.

"I wish you didn't do this behind my back," Rhea was honest. "My relationship with them is very fragile and if they don't like you or end up messing everything up then I'm going to lose it!"

Mrs. Myerson opened the door before the suit-wearer could respond. The woman had long black hair that was twisted into a braid, she was wearing colourful shalwar kameez and gold studs in her ears. Growing up, Rhea was told she was the spitting image of her mother, but she never really saw the resemblance herself.

The woman's jaw dropped and her eyes sized up the man holding her daughter's hand. "What are you doing at our doorstep?" The question was directed at Rhea. "Without so much as a phone call? Did I raise you without manners? Is this the kind of mother you want your friends to see?"

Rhea rolled her eyes. "I would have called but I didn't think I was going to make it to see you this weekend." She used her available hand to point at the suit-wearer. "He tricked me into coming here."

Her mother's face lit up. The woman encouraged manipulation and trickery if it would get her daughter back home. Smiling at Warren, Rhea's mother welcomed him inside, her eyes now examining his expensive wardrobe. "Noah!" she yelled. "Our daughter is here with a special guest!"

Rhea felt her stomach churn. She really wasn't in the mood to deal with her mother and father.

She respectfully took off her shoes and instructed her boyfriend to do the same. Then the couple watched as Mr. Myerson stuck his head out of the living area. It had been a few months since Rhea saw him, but he looked mostly the same. Her English father was tall and lean with grey eyes, and light brown hair. He was dressed in a traditional blue kurta, which Rhea's mother had no doubt influenced him to prefer.

"Beti!" Mr. Myerson said, going in for a hug. Rhea reluctantly embraced him, all the while planning an escape route in her head. She could run out the kitchen door, sure she would have to climb the fence, and run through the garbage alley, but desperate times called for desperate measures.