Chapter 22 - Understand His World

Rhea happily strapped her seatbelt on, eager to spend the rest of the day with her wonderful suit-wearer. This was what she was looking forward to the most, being away in her hometown with the guy of her dreams. It was a wish come true and she couldn't ask for anything more. Now all she had to do was get the image of Christian Lu kissing Tegan out of her head. Her roommate's decision to get revenge by herself was another issue Rhea couldn't dismiss, but she was happy to know that Tegan wouldn't be sleeping with him anymore. There were better tricks up her sleeves, one that wouldn't involve torture and heartbreak. Was it strange that she was excited to see that piece of shit crumble? Rhea didn't like wishing bad karma on other people, but if anyone deserved it, it was Christian Fucken Lu.

Warren started his rented Audi, just as Rhea's phone beeped, and displayed an alarming message from Tegan. 'I think he's slowly breaking...'

Leaving her best friend to hitch a ride with the waste of space didn't sit well with Rhea, especially since Red was the in the dark about the troubles his manager was facing. In fact, if Sera was not around to take care of her Tegan then Rhea would have probably forced Warren to postpone their date.

'What happened?' Rhea replied to the message. 'Tell me everything!'

Tegan was quick with her response. 'Something about how I don't realize how much power I hold over him? And a baseball analogy that went over my head.'

Rhea scoffed as her boyfriend drove off the secluded property and entered the main road. "What's wrong?" he asked. "Is everything okay?"

"Fine," Rhea spat, furiously typing a reply to her friend. 'Don't let him confuse you? He's probably just trying to play a trick on you.'

'I know, but he looked so sad when he said he wanted to keep racing towards home-run,' Tegan answered. 'Whatever that means? I just wish he would stop giving me mixed signals. You know?'

'What a nightmare he is,' Rhea replied. She put her phone away and turned to look at her concerned boyfriend, who had the strange ability to read her emotions. Whenever Rhea tried lying to him about things, or pretending that she was fine, he kept her from spiralling down a rabbit hole.

"You may want to just tell me before I force it out of you?" Warren suggested.

Rhea exhaled. She didn't know how much Christian told the suit-wearer, but she assumed it was enough to deduct that shit was hitting the fan with Tegan. "Why is your boy such a piece of shit?" the question came out a lot more aggressive than she intended. "What is so messed up about him that he can't just take a minute to enjoy a steady relationship? Is his life so busy that he can't work things out with her?"

"You're referring to the whole Tegan thing?" he asked. "You want to know if Chris genuinely likes her or not? And why he is the way he is?"

"Yes!" Rhea sighed. "I saw him kissing her before brunch, I was ready to rage, but then I heard Tegan talking about their friends with benefit situation, so I stopped myself. Everything is out in the open now but I feel helpless. I wish I could help her, you know? I want to get her through this. If your stupid friend would just be honest about his feelings then things wouldn't have escalated this far."

Warren faked a smile. "Christian doesn't mean to be a piece of shit. He just has his reasons for keeping people at bay."

"What do you mean?" Rhea asked feeling more annoyed than ever. "Did he get his heart broken or something before and now he's scared of commitment?"

Warren laughed. "As long as I have known Christian, he has always been the one breaking hearts. When he wants something really badly, he usually goes for it."