#TeamEcrivain Pt. I - @elveloy's "Blue"

Depuis le début

"Can't hurt," decided Blue, opening up his laptop. An email would be a hell of a lot cheaper than an international phone call.

But to Blue's disgust, no-one would listen to him. In fact, after his fourth email, he found himself blocked from the Home Office website.

"Bloody idiots!" he fumed. He turned to Bonza, "Those zombies are probably infecting people like crazy and no-one is doing anything about it! There's only one thing for it. I'll have to go over there and tackle them myself."

Decision made, Blue lost no time. He told his boss he'd be away for a bit, used his Australian Survivor money to buy a ticket to London, and drove Bonza round to Sheila's house. Sheila was working night shift and was pissed to be woken in the middle of the day. She answered the door with bed hair and a teeshirt. "Whassamatta?" she yawned. "It better be good!"

"I'm going to London to fight zombies," Blue explained. "Can you look after Bonza while I'm gone?"

Sheila was even more pissed that Blue was spending their house deposit money on a crazy whim, but she agreed to look after Bonza. In fact, if she was honest, sometimes she actually preferred Bonza's company to Blue's. "I always wondered if you were a few chops short of a barbie, Blue, but this one takes the cake. Zombies, eh?" she scoffed. "If the apocalypse comes, beep me." Then she went back to bed.

Blue went home to pack. Having made sure to read the Dangerous Goods regulations all the way through, he was careful to pack his axe and a couple of large knives in his checked luggage. He wore his sturdiest boots for the flight and carried his combat jacket over one arm

Thirty hours later, he arrived at Heathrow Airport, ready for action.

Somewhat to his surprise, everyone appeared to be going about their normal business. Perhaps there were less people about than he was expecting, but there weren't any zombies, and the airport was still operating. Blue caught the tube to London and then made his way to Aldwych where his Dad had told him you could pick up a second hand Kombi van for practically nothing. However, when he got there, Blue realised things must have changed since the 1970s. There was no sign of any Kombi vans, VW campervans, or any other brand for that matter, in sight. Rather at a loss, Blue wandered aimlessly around Central London, searching for evidence of zombies.

Eventually, he found his way to Earl's Court, booked into a cheap hotel, and crashed out.

Several hours later, he was awakened by the sound of groaning outside his room. A muffled thump rattled the door. In a flash, Blue leapt out of bed. He grabbed the axe from his suitcase and pulled the door open wide. A zombie stumbled into the room.

"I was right!" thought Blue, before he swung the axe and brought it down right through the creature's forehead. It fell to the floor, leaking brains onto the carpet. Blue stepped over the corpse and looked up and down the passage. A door opened further along and a man peered out. "Is it a terrorist attack?" he asked, fearfully.

"Worse than that, mate!" said Blue. "It's zombies."

He could hear a shuffling sound coming from the stairwell. "Get back inside and barricade the door," he shouted to the other guest. Then he jumped back inside his own room. Blue dragged the corpse across the floor so that he could shut the door and dressed hurriedly. This was not the time to be caught in his pyjamas. He pulled a backpack from his suitcase and filled it with urgent supplies; a change of clothes, his toothbrush, a water bottle, and three boxes of matches, then belted on the two knives around his waist, and picked up the axe.

Unpleasant snuffling sounds emanated from the corridor, followed by blood-curdling screams. Not that way, then.

Blue hefted up the window and looked outside for the fire-escape. From what he knew, zombies might be able to climb or even crawl up stairs but they couldn't manage a ladder. The ladder ended about ten feet from the ground and looked a trifle rusty, but at least it was free of zombies. Blue clambered out and hurried down the ladder as quickly as he could.