/ˈmɪst(ə)ri/

*mystery

New York was my home before I headed to Crimson, fast-paced and never sleeping, I ended up detesting it

New York was my home before I headed to Crimson, fast-paced and never sleeping, I ended up detesting it. The blood was excellent here, though; it's one of those cities where everything can become problematic, and almost everyone has issues.

The city almost got the best of me. My mind blew with the excess thoughts of violence sucked in through the blood, which I had to evacuate.

Evacuation is a process where instead of consuming the feelings, I extract and transfer them to someone else with a bite. Yes, I know there is a lot more to our ways than what meets the eye.

Excess lust, tension, stress, I can give it away, it's not a healthy process, and it can be devastating for the human who receives the emotions. Still, I couldn't choose. It's impossible to repress the emotional spill which relives one like an ejaculation. Sorry for the X-rated imagery, but it what the act resembles. If I don't expulse it, I suffer from the overflow, and when that happens, I have no control. The ferocious beast which sleeps in me goes on a blood-seeking rampage.

It's something I hate, and so I parted for Crimson.

I leave JFK to find a limo waiting for me, "prince," says the chauffeur. I climb inside without saying a word; he drives me to Central Park, where my friend is waiting for me.

"Lord Tepes."

"Oh please, not you too, Iversen."

"What's wrong with calling you by your title."

"Everything, I don't like the idea that a man I respect and taught who me almost everything I know calling me lord when I'm still a foolish child."

Iversen laughs," a child you are, but foolish you are not," says the homeless man feeding the birds.

Although he too is a lord, Iversen lives on the streets, wealthy owning multiple properties. He prefers helping the lost vampires rejected by the noble who created them. Iversen is the one who inspired me with the new laws on seconds.

"You must be the only one to think that the council doesn't agree with my methods."

Iverson chuckles, "has the counsel ever agreed with anyone? Even your father had a hard time with those buggers. It's the reason why he preferred eliminating those who constantly went against his authority."

"I'm no better; haven't you heard how I ordered fifteen scatterings at the last meeting."

"Good, you must be firm towards those who disobey. A king is not chosen to be liked but to govern. It's because of that Jesus could not do it. Your brother is unable to live without the absolute love and devotion of his subject, and so he left you the burden."

Once again, Iversen points out the reason why the council chose me over Jesus.

"My decisions please no one. They think I'm letting my humanity takeover. I'm not a king but a hostage. Aren't we a Republic?"

Iverson puts his hands behind his back, and I know I'm in for some lecturing, "we were human once. There's nothing wrong with showing it. Our lives have improved since you chaperone everything. Look at us; most royals and lords are wealthy and contributing to society. Thanks to you, we don't longer dwell in caves and coffins. You are right, we are a Republic, but the beasts we hide are too greedy for us to make decisions without someone overlooking our actions."

"They are afraid we'll end up like varcolac, exiled in Canada and other deep forest locations."

Iverson frowns, "the old werewolves chose to go back to the wild maintaining animal form but look at the youths of your generation, like you; they live among the humans. Of course, we can't compare. Werewolves animal instinct is stronger than any logic, but they are trying, and see, we are no longer at war with them."

After the last war, the survivors decided to call a truce.

Lycanthrope and vampires do not provoke each other and do not interfere in each other's affairs. Most, as Iverson said, have abandoned the cities, and let us claim most.

Their leader Adonis is hot-headed, always in for confrontation, but he too has a vision where nature is a priority. Adonis government's new laws make them the guardians of woods and forests. I find the cause noble; after the havoc we caused with our wars to annihilate each other, making humans the collateral victims of our wrath, it's almost standard that we do something for this earth we mistreat.

"Your bats arrived an hour ago; I see you only brought half."

"Eh, I didn't want to overcloud New York. Where are they?"

"They're feed."

"Thank you; they must be tired. My companions are ever devoted. Though no longer linked by the vow, they remain."

"Not enough," Iversen looks above us, where fifty of the more courageous ones fly in circles, "bats are faithful. It's better to have them than an army of Seconds."

Iversen starts walking, hands behind his back like in the old days at the castle of Lys in Danemark, and I follow, "so tell me, what's this about murdered Seconds?"

"The murders began a month ago; we think it's a serial killer who targets vampires."

"Then it must be one of the other species."

Iverson purses his lips, "one thing is sure it's neither wolf nor witch."

"Then, who?"

"A Millenium being."

I chuckle, "Iverson, it's impossible the only Millenium being I know is with me, 24/7."

His eyebrow arcs like a bow, "you still keep that elf with you?"

"Mephisto is loyal, and if he is an enemy, I rather keep him close."

Millennium beings existed before vampires, Elves, fairies, dwarfs, mermaids, and other species of myths and legends which almost don't live in our era.

Some naturally disappeared with the evolution of man, who became wicked and cunning. Others died during wars where they pledged allegiance to the Helsings.

To think that one could be murdering us now is a great source of stress. I don't want any conflict breaking the peace that we've held between the species.

Hi guys, 

I know it's been days. I had no time with work. Hemes is a book that takes me more time to write because it's written in first-person POV, and I'm less comfortable with the style. Anyway, I hope the chapter was okay.

There's a fairy on the loose out to get our Strigoi; I wonder where it is?

Thank you for reading