Needing a Father

When he left Vida went to the bedroom to pack her James's and Nick's things. Duncan turned to talk to Jess when he saw she wasn't there.

"Jess?"

Vida walked out her face pale. "She's in here."

Duncan, Grey and Callum ran into the other room. Jess sat on the corner curled into a ball crying into her knees. Duncan walked over and crouched in front of Jess. When he touched her shoulder she flinched.

"Easy Jess."

But she just curled into a tighter ball and continued to cry. Duncan looked up at his dad and uncle for help. When Greylen stepped forward Duncan backed away. Grey leaned down and easily gripping Jess's shoulder he brought her to her feet ignoring her struggles. And with the patients he learn with his own daughters he sat on the bed with her in his lap and wrapped his arms around her so her head was resting on his shoulder.

She struggled for a few moments then she gripped Grey's shirt as she continued to cry. Grey sat there rocking her waiting for her to calm down. The whole time Duncan felt useless. She hadn't let him hold her only Grey. He stepped out of the room for a moment and Callum followed.

"Duncan?"

Duncan ran a hand through his hair frustrated. How the hell had he came from holding her all through the night and this morning and nearly making love to her to having her flinch from his touch. It ripped something deep inside.

"Duncan?"

He turned to look at his father. "I would never hurt her. Why did she flinch from me?"

"Easy son."

"No papa. I held her all night because she had nightmares. And this morning..." He stopped and ran his hand through his hair again. "This morning we were rolling around kissing. She had never flinched from my touch before."

"Easy son it isn't your fault."

"But?"

"No... Look, remember what that bastard said to her about her family not wanting her it really hurt her. All she needed was a father to hold her. That is what Grey is doing it's not something you could control."

Duncan nodded. "But I still feel like I should have done something."

Vida walked up. "There was nothing you can do."

Duncan turned to her. "How long have you known her?"

"A long time! We grew up together."

"Her parents?"

"I never knew she didn't say. We grew up in an orphanage. I was lucky I was adopted but she never was. No one wanted her. Her only happiness was in the two old men who brought her to the orphanage. They were like grandpa's to her. They couldn't adopt her, the state wouldn't allow it because they were too old that there was a fear they would pass before she was old enough. But they fixed it where she could come and stay and visit. She'd go stay a week every month. Extra during the summer because of her birthday. And she would spend a full month with them for Christmas and New Year but when she was 18 they passed away. First one then the other. Now she is alone."

Duncan looked toward the room where he could hear Grey murmuring to her. He walked back and saw she had stopped crying and was quietly sitting on Grey's lap as he rocked her.

"Everything will be okay lass. You'll see."

"James is right no one ever wanted me."

"Ah but lass you must not have your eyes opened."

"What do you mean?"

He smiled down at her. "We want you lass. We would very much like ye to stay with us. Grace would love to be able to mother another girl. She loves to putter around like an old mother hen."

That help Jess gave a watery laugh."Really?"

"Aye, and I would like another girl to teach some of my knowledge." Grey saw Duncan peeking around the door frame. He smiled and looked back down. "Not to mention Duncan."

"Duncan?"

"I am sure he could love nothing better then for you to stay around. I am very certain he wants you lass."

Jess looked up and Grey. "Why would he want someone like me I have no family?"

"No one?"

"No the only two people who ever cared for me passed years ago."

"Well know you have a huge family to care for you now."

Jess laughed. "Huge? What in numbers or size?"

Grey tossed back his head and laughed and placed a fatherly kiss on her forehead.

"Both lass both."

She smiled and wiped her cheek. "Thanks."

"Your welcome. Now pack your stuff and we can go back to Gu Brath."

"Alright."

As she packed her suitcases and backpack Grey walked out and talked with Duncan and Callum. They told him what Vida had said about Jess. When she walked out Vida smiled.

"Jess I am gonna head home."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, besides I need to tell Nick's and James's folks it will be a while till they come home. Heck they might have to come her to bail them out."

Jess smiled and Vida hugged her. "I am sorry for what happened." She noticed Duncan on the other side of the room. "Then again I am sure that was when you met that hunk."

Jess blushed. "Duncan is a gentle man."

Vida smiled and said goodbye to the men. As she walked out Robby and Matt came in. Duncan looked at Jess.

"Are you ready lass?"

"Yes. Just let me get my things."

Duncan, Matt, and Robbie followed her into the room. They grabbed her suitcases and when she went to grab her backpack when Duncan took it and swung it over his shoulder.

The other two walked out but when Duncan went to leave Jessica grabbed his arms and pulled him to a stop. Once he turned Jess stood on tiptoe and gently kissed him. She pulled back and gently rubbed her finger across his lips.

"I am sorry for pulling from you."

"It's alright lass."

As she stepped away Duncan wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her to him so he could kiss her again. She moaned against his mouth. But as Duncan canted his head to kiss her deeper he heard his father called from the front room.

Duncan pulled back and looked down at her. "You never have to fear me lass. If you ever need someone, whether it be a shoulder to lean on or just someone to hold you. I'll always be there for you."

She looked up and him a tear falling down her check. "Thank you."

He twined his fingers with hers and lifted their hands to wipe the tear of her cheek. "Come on lets go home."

Jess gently bit her bottom lip and followed. Grey and Callum smiled when they saw Duncan holding her hand.