Forty-One: "That Was A Dick Move, Wasn't It?"

ayeee there's gonna be a lot of time hopping in the upcoming chapters because this story is almost over whooo. also thanks for 2,000 reads you guys are the bomb!!

-

"I can't believe you didn't message him back, Emi," Camila shook her head disapprovingly at her best friend.

It was now May, and it had been nearly four months since Leon had snapchatted her that one cold, winter January night. To be fair, Emilia had wanted to message him back, but she knew if she did, she would fall back into his trap.

Leon had a certain charm about him; she didn't know if it was his confidence, his curls, or those pink, plump lips of his, but just one picture of him sent Emilia reeling. Even after these months after breaking up, he still had the same effect on her. To Emilia, Leon Goretzka was, and always will be an absolute dreamboat.

"You do know that he ended things with Alyssa right? I don't think he liked her much anyways," Camila wiggled her eyebrows at the Minnesotan. She had always shipped the redhead and Leon, and wanted nothing more than for the two of them to get back together. Camila and Max had even designed a plan to resurrect the relationship; they just needed Emilia to agree to the first step.

"It doesn't matter, Mila. Leon still cheated on me, and I still can't trust him. I would love to date him again, but there's no trust on my side. I'd constantly be worrying if he was cheating on me, and I don't need that stress in my life," Emilia explained. "And yes, I loved him and maybe I still do, but it doesn't change anything. I don't want to give him the power to hurt me again. The pain was terrible enough the first time; I don't need to experience a heartbreak like that ever again."

Camila pulled Emi towards her as the small redhead rested her head upon her friend's shoulder. She rubbed Emilia's back soothingly, wanting to ease her comments into the conversation.

"The pain was unbearable because Leon was your once in a lifetime love, Em," Camila continued drawing patterns on Emi's skin. "You may not have dated long, but that doesn't determine how you felt about him-- and how he felt about you. Leon misses you, you know. He talks about you all the time. It's quite endearing when he does--," She paused, a wide smile settling on her face. "His whole face lights up, until he realizes that you're not his anymore. Trust me, Em. He knows he fucked up, but he's willing to do anything to get you back."

"I don't know, Camila."

"Promise me one thing," The wannabe matchmaker pushed, "That if the opportunity presents itself, you'll hear Leon out. It doesn't mean you have to get back together with him, I'm only asking that you listen to what he has to say. He cares about you so much Emi; he just needs a chance to explain himself."

"I'll agree, but only because I love you, Mila," Emi hugged her friend tightly, giggling slightly. "But what opportunity will present itself? We all know I'm not going with to watch the World Cup."

The brunette smirked while sliding her phone out of her back pocket. "About that actually," She pressed the FaceTime button on her phone, and out of the corner of her eye she noticed Emilia begin to shake.

Camila placed a hand on hers before announcing, "It's only Josh, don't worry. I wouldn't blindside you with a call to Leon like this. Do you not know me at all?" She joked, and soon enough, Joshua's adorable grin filled the screen.

"Hallo Emi and Mila! I miss you both!" The Bayern boy waved at the camera and Emilia swore that her heart filled with happiness at the action.

Joshua was just so pure; he brought so much happiness to her life, and she had Leon to thank for it. Emi couldn't imagine being without her little German ray of sunshine.

"I miss you too, Kimmie!" The girls spoke simultaneously, sending the trio into a fit of giggles.

"As much as I love seeing your beautiful faces―," He began, but was interrupted by Emilia shouting, "Stop flirting, Joshua!"

"Hey, I would never! You know I love Lina too much― she's everything," He gushed over his girlfriend of four years.

"We know, we know― Emi was only playing," Camila sent Emilia a death glare before turning her attention back to Joshua. "Stick to the script, Jo."

"Right, right," Joshua shook his head, racking his brain for his rehearsed lines. "I think you should come with us to the World Cup, Emi. I love you, Lina loves you, Max and Mila love you, and the guys on the team love you too. You don't have to stay for the whole time― just promise me that you'll at least come see Germany in final."

Emilia shot him a confused look, taken aback by his forwardness. Joshua wasn't usually so arrogant, so he must have really believed in their World Cup chances. However, there was no way in hell she would ever miss cheering on her best friend in the biggest competition of his life.

"When you get to the final Joshy, I'll be there. That's a one-hundred percent guarantee."

"Is this like one of the one-hundred percent satisfaction guarantees that if I don't like the end product I can return it? Or―"

"Just take the yes and hang up already, Josh," Camila rolled her eyes at him playfully.

"Alright, alright. I'll let you ladies get back to your girl talk. Love you both!" The Bayern prodigy gushed before ending the call.

Camila smiled devilishly to herself, muttering under her breath, "Phase one ― complete."

She didn't say it very quietly though, because Emilia could hear her clearly. "What was that, Mila?"

"Huh?" The popstar tried thinking of an explanation. "I said phase one is complete ― you know, convincing you to come along was half the battle. We're going to have the best time in Russia― it's one place I've never been to!"

As Emilia listened to her best friend ramble on about everything she wanted to do in Russia, she couldn't help but feel anxious. Present day Emi was stronger than the naive, easily-pleased girl she was a year ago, but she was worried that visiting the country where she first fell in love with Leon would break her; that it would bring all of those unwanted feelings back. And seeing him in person? Honestly, Emi thought she could crumple up in a ball and cry just thinking about it. Her love for him ran deep, and she could only hope that Russia wouldn't break her.

Plus, Emilia thought-- it's uncommon for World Cup winners to make it to consecutive finals. What are the odds that Germany will make it again?