4

After work was finished, I headed back home. I took a quick shower. I had a long list of things to do at the house since my mother refuses to do it. As I pulled into the drive way I noticed that there was a strange car parked next to my mothers.

This is interesting, I think to myself. Shrugging my shoulders, I head inside. Immediately I notice that something is not right. I smell food being cooked. It is weird because I am the one to prepare our meals. All she ever does is sit on the couch and watch television. I heard laughter coming from the kitchen. I go to investigate. When I walk around the corner I stop dead in my tracks.

There at the kitchen counter stands my father.

Now I know I should be happy, that he is back, I mean I have been wanting him back for almost four years. Yet now that he is back I do not know how to feel about it. I turn and head back out the door. I leave my keys on the table by the door and start walking. Not paying attention to where I am or where I am going. I just walk. I keep my eyes focused on the ground never once looking up. I did not realize that I had entered the forest until I came to a bridge. I look up and glance around. I shake my head and continue deeper into the trees. I do not even care anymore. Here it is Monday and I had been praying that my father would come home by my birthday on Wednesday. There he is standing in my kitchen laughing and having fun with a woman that I no longer recognize.

"Cierra?" I hear a voice call out. I look around trying to find its location. When I failed to do so I continued walking.

"Hey, Cierra!" They called out again. I stop and look behind me and there in the middle of nowhere stands Drake. I am so confused as to why he would be here.

"Yeah. Hi, Drake sorry. I am kind of out of it right now. I needed to walk to clear my head. Didn't seem to work though. Why are you out here in the middle of the night?" I ask.

"I was heading over to watch the wolves run. Darrel is out with them tonight. They are beautiful. Would you like to join me since you are here anyway?" He asked.

"Yes, that would be great. Thank you." I said looking back at the ground.

"Is everything okay? You seem different from this afternoon. Like sadder almost. Would you like to talk about it?" He inquired. I shake my head and follow him as he walks through the tree's like he was born here. It was amazing how confident he is. Tuning out everything else that was being said.

"Okay, we're going to sit over here under this tree and watch them run. They should be coming any minute now. So be as silent and still as you can." He explained.

"Okay." I whispered. Soon you could hear their paws hitting the ground. They were approaching us fast. It was amazing. I had never seen anything like it in my entire life. The later it got the more tired I became.

"I should head home it is getting late and I have school tomorrow. Thank you for sharing this beautiful sight with me. I will text you sometime." I whisper as I stand up to head home.

"It is late and really dark how about you let me give you a ride home? I am sure Darrel would love to see you again." He said as he stands up.

"I really couldn't impose on you any more than I already have. I will be fine getting home on my own." I smiled at his kind gesture.

"Don't be silly. It is no problem giving you a ride home. Besides I live like five minutes from here. Come on." He laughed as he grabbed my hand and lead me to his place. A sense of home, of belonging shot through me when he grabbed my hand. All I wanted to do was curl up into his side and never leave. I got the same feeling from the wolf that laid his head on my lap during school. I wonder why. Shaking it off I follow him. He was right he did live close by.

"I will be right back. I should grab my keys. Then I will return you safely home." He said as he headed inside. I heard a twig snap behind me. When I looked I saw Darrel?

"Well hello handsome. Did you enjoy the run?" I chuckled as he trotted over and nudged me with his big head. I reached down and stroked his big beautiful head.

"Okay let's go. Darrel are you coming with us?" He asked the wolf like he could understand us. I had not taken my eyes off him. I noticed the bob of his head. Turning we got into the car. The drive to my place was a peacefully quit one. I had never felt so at ease with anyone. It was refreshing.

"Okay from here you are going to have to give me directions." Drake explained. I nodded my head and continue to give him directions. Before I knew it, we were pulling into my driveway. I sighed upon seeing the same car in the drive way. I groaned not wanting to get out of the car.

"Are you okay? What's bothering you?" Drake asked. I saw movement in the window next to the door and groaned again.

"Oh, the father that ran away and left me to take care of my mother is back. The piece of crap who abandoned us for four years just waltzed in and acted like nothing happened. I wanted him to come back for so long but now that he is all I feel about it is anger and heartache. That woman was a zombie on the couch for four years. He walks through the door and now she is up laughing and making food. Why? Why does he always screw shit up? I mean everything was fucked up but I like it this way." I ranted.

"Maybe you should give him a chance. It will be less stressful for you now and you can be a teenager again. I know it is not my place to say anything but just think about it. Also, I will always be a phone call away. Just call me and I will be here in an instant. That is a promise. Also, Darrel probably wouldn't mind staying here with you for a couple of nights if you want. Just leave your bedroom window open or something. He can land a jump from a second story balcony. I have seen him do it." Drake said.

"Are you sure that it is okay? He won't miss his pack for a couple of days? I would really like him to stay but only If he wants to." I reach over and open the door.

"I am sure. He has taken a strong liking to you. When you step out ask him if he wants to stay with you for a few days. I promise that I will be here the within ten minutes of you calling me." Drake explained. I stepped out of the car and leaned down.

"Okay. Darrel would you like to stay with." I wasn't even able to finish my question before he jumped out of the car. Laughing I looked at Drake.

"I guess he has decided that you are who he wants to stay with." He chuckled.