1

There was a story that my grandmother used to tell me about the forest behind my house. She said that there were beasts that stalked the trees waiting for some silly girl to wonder too far in so they could gobble us up in one big bite. I knew that there was nothing to fear in those woods. I don't know how I knew but I knew that nothing in there would harm me. The forest called to my heart. It pulled me closer and closer every year. As a child I would stay as far away from them as I could but as I got older I got braver and it stopped scaring me as much. Here I am just days from my eighteenth birthday. I have woken up every morning standing just outside the tree line. It is like I am waiting for something or someone to come for me. I hear wolves howling in the distance and want to go and see them but I know I can't. I turn around and head back inside to get ready for the day.

"Mom is dad going to make it home in time for my birthday this year?" I ask as I head into the kitchen.

"I do not know Cierra. I just don't know." My mother says as I head into my room to get dressed. I don't seem to understand why my father wants to stay away so much. Is it because of me? Did I do something to chase my father away? I head back down stairs and say good bye to my mother.

I hop in my car and head to school. Time to start another day in the hell they put us kids through. Dreading the rest of the day. When I get to the parking lot of my own personal prison I see that there is a group of kids that I had never seen before.

"Cierra are you listening to me?" I hear my best friend Levi call out exasperated.

"Yeah sorry I'm listening." I laugh. I knew he was getting frustrated with me. I couldn't help it though. The group of kids caught my eye. It was like part of me wanted to be over there with them more than anything.

"There you go again spacing out while staring at Trenton and his click. What is wrong with you. You know they are bad news. Why are you trying to attract their attention? Come on we have to get out of here before anything happens to us." He exclaimed while dragging me away. I couldn't help but glance back at them. When I did I noticed that they were all looking at us. I quickly turned back around and followed Levi inside the school.

We head to our lockers. Which thankfully were side by side. Grabbing our supplies for first period and headed to class.

"You are just trying to get us killed aren't you. Gosh you are so dense sometimes. Why can't you be like me admire them through mirrors and your eyelashes. Ugh you irritate me so Damn much. Why are we friends?" He exaggerated a sigh. I glared at him.

"You are my friend because we were forced into the same class since kindergarten. You were always being bullied for eating glue. I think the better question is why the hell am I friends with you?" I glared. What was he thinking asking such a stupid question? Soon first period was in progress. Levi kept taping me on the shoulder trying to get me to talk to him. I ignored him.

Tap

Twitch

Tap. Tap.

Twitch

Tap. Tap. Tap.

"Leave me the fuck alone Levi. I am not in the mood for this bull shit." I growled out mid class.

"Cierra why are you disturbing my lesson?" the teacher asked.

"You weren't teaching us anything new. We learned this shit last year. Get a new curriculum and leave me the fuck alone. I am so done with this shit. Before you say anything else yes, I know detention after school. I am already heading to the principal's office. Now get a fucking life." I gathered my belongings and walked out the door. I stopped by my locker and dropped my books off. I headed to the office.

I turned the corner only to walk into a solid body. Slowly I followed the body from the feet up. When I reached the face, I stumbled back. Fuck I walked right into Trenton. He caught my hand as I almost fell on my ass. When he touched me, it was like a bolt of electricity shot through me. I had an urge to touch him even more. It is like I never wanted to let go. What the hell has gotten into me. I release his hand and look at him.

"Sorry but I have to go. Thank you for keeping me on my feet. Sorry for bumping into you. Bye." I say as I run to the principal's office. I hear him say something but I did not catch what he had said.

"Cierra, I know you have a lot to deal with but we cannot have you acting out in class. Has your father still not shown up?" Principle Harley asked.

"No Uncle Harley dad has not shown up yet." I sighed. He knew that I get easily agitated when it is close to my birthday. My father left just after my fourteenth birthday. I just wanted my dad back.

"You know that we cannot allow you to get away with talking back to the teacher. So, you have detention after school for the next four days." He scolded me.

"Fine whatever. Can I go now?" I exhaled dramatically.

"Yeah you can go but please stay out of trouble. I do not want to report you to your mother again."

"Yeah because she is such a scary person. She barely says two words to me these days so why should I care?" I leave his office and head out the doors. I knew what I needed and it wasn't inside the building. I headed to my secret spot.