12

KIARA

After rambling about my terrible morning and how rude the people in here were, I finally realized I had spoken too much, once again.

"So, um. I've talked too much. Why did you call me here, again? Because, if it's for a job interview, I have everything right here. As you know, I recently got fired but that was not my fault. You were there, too. You know the story. I mean, not the whole story but, you know what, let me explain that day real quick---" Placing my CV on his desk, I heard a groan from Damien and for the 100th time today, I came to the conclusion that I really need to shut up.

"Sorry. What did you say was the reason you called me here?" I asked, shortly.

"I didn't, Kiara. You've been talking ever since 8:10."

I glanced at the clock. It was 8:40...

I don't even know what to say to myself.

No, Kiara, just don't say anything.

Good girl.

"I want to make a deal with you." Damien pushed in his chair and placed his hands on the desk.

"Wha...What kind of deal..?" I asked stuttering.

Damn it. I always stutter when I'm nervous. I hope this deal gets me a job.

"A business deal."

"H...How?"

"As you may have guessed, I bought Miller Lake. There are many factors for my decision, such as its location. It'll definitely attract a lot of customers. I couldn't just buy it and re-run it, though. Its reputation has already been damaged, thanks to you. But, this works out for me."

"Hey! I didn't ruin...Okay, maybe I did. Why are you telling me this? Where do I come in?"

"I want to open a new restaurant in place of Miller Lake after the inspection. The first impression must be perfect so that we can eventually remove the thought of Miller Lake's incident."

"Okay... And where do I come in, again?"

"I saw, first-hand, what you did at Miller Lake's that day. Although it was unacceptable, you saved me from that girl and unintentionally gave me this opportunity. Also, I hate Daniel and what you did was gold--I mean, admirable. Anyways, this led me to run a quick search on you and I found out that you graduated from New York Culinary School. You were on top for all of your classes. You've lived with your best friend, Dina, ever since age 19. Then, I found something interesting. During your college years, and 2 years after that, you were working as an assistant chef, voluntarily, at a high-end restaurant in New York. However, you abruptly left and found a job as a waitress at Miller Lakes. I do not know why you left, but you can tell me the real story when you want to. I hate assumptions. I found reviews about you, from your college professors to your past co-workers. You are a pretty amazing cook."

"He is such a stalker." I thought.

"Researching about a prospective employee and stalking are two separate things." he shot back.

"It surprises me how you remembered every little detail about me yet you couldn't remember my name that day... Um, what exactly is this deal?"

I need to learn how to keep my mouth shut and my thoughts to myself.

"You see, you've got the media's attention right now. I'm not exactly sure whether that'll be a good thing or a bad thing, but the future will tell us that. I want to take this risk. Having the very girl who ruined the restaurant rise it into something better will raise my credibility and reputation further. And of course, it would have its benefits for you as well. I want to put your skills through a test. If you really are talented, life is too short and unfair to waste that. Be my personal chef for 4 weeks. That's until the inspection and construction are finished. If I like it, I will make you the head chef of our new restaurant."