//twenty five - pull the floor from your feet//

Lane's POV

The world was now the same dark abyss I had only ever talked about. I heard desperate pleas to save me, I heard sobs and beeping, endless beeping. But everything was dark. My eyes adjusted to the black and a few feet away I saw a figure sitting carefully on one of the rocks that littered the ground of this cave I was seemingly stuck in. With only taking a few steps forward, I knew it was Alex. 

His eyes met mine and he smiled an all too familiar small and sad grin, the one he gave me when he saw me at my dad's funeral, the one he gave me when I first hurt myself, when I first had to stay at his house. I ran forward to him and his arms wrapped so carefully around me. "What are you doing here, sweetie?" he asked gently, brushing the wind-blown hair from my face. I cupped his face in my hands, studying what I hadn't gotten to see for so long. He looked happier here, an afterlife kind of glow that surrounded him, made him stand out against the curtain of darkness, one you only see in bad Hallmark movies. "My mom was running away, she didn't want me. I couldn't handle it, I tried to kill myself and I'm scared I did it." That endless beeping was still there, fading in and out every so often. Alex wiped the forming tears from my cheeks as he traced around the newly forming scars on my arms. He kissed my head and cradled me into his chest. "You didn't do it, Lane. You weren't supposed to leave yet, and you aren't going to. I love you more then anything, but don't come back until you have to okay?" The beeping and loud cries grew and suddenly the black became bright light. I nodded into Alex's chest, smiling and crying. "I love you Alex," I whispered as my eyes fluttered open and I was in a hospital bed. 

I looked next to me and saw Tyler playing with my fingers and softly singing. 

Should've stayed, were there signs, I ignored?
Can I help you, not to hurt, anymore?
We saw brilliance, when the world, was asleep
There are things that we can have, but can't keep
If they say
Who cares if one more light goes out?
In a sky of a million stars
It flickers, flickers
Who cares when someone's time runs out?
If a moment is all we are
We're quicker, quicker
Who cares if one more light goes out?
Well I do
The reminders pull the floor from your feet
In the kitchen, one more chair than you need oh
And you're angry, and you should be, it's not fair
Just 'cause you can't see it, doesn't mean it, isn't there...

Tears rolled down my cheeks again as I squeezed my hand and watched the way Tyler looked over to me and jumped up. His arms wrapped around my neck and mine around his shoulders. His eyes looked deeply into mine, asking all the questions he was scared to say out loud through this single look. "I didn't think people needed me, but I was so wrong. I need you, you need me. I know that now, and I knew it the minute the damage was done. Thank you, Dad," I said quietly. He smiled and nodded, kissing my head so lightly that I barely felt it. My arms ached from the stitches but other then that I felt lighter then air, brighter then the moon outside. Brendon and Pete walked in, their eyes growing wide as they saw me talking. Pete was first to run to me, running his calloused fingers over my face, trying to see if I was truly alive.

"I'm here," I whispered, smiling through tears as he smiled back and engulfed me in the tightest embrace I've ever experienced. The words were kept to a minimum, just letting the pure joy and hope and regret simmer into the air as it escaped our lungs and flooded back in. Brendon was next, scooping me up and setting me in his lap as best as he could with the wires connected to me. "We love you too much to ever see you do that again. You hear me, kid?" he said in a stern but such loving way that I just kissed him on the cheek and nodded. "Never again," I promised, linking my pinky with his as it tangled up into my hair. The three men stood carefully in the room, looking like they were scared of saying anything. 

"You can talk about it, ask about it, anything. I don't care, but having it sit in the air isn't much better." They all looked a little embarrassed before Tyler pulled out the note my mom left and smoothed it down on the table. "I read it," he croaked. "And I'm so sorry Lane. But, we're here and we're never leaving." I stared at the paper, my arms stinging just at the sight of what sent me so far off the edge. "I know that now," I whispered, never breaking my line if sight with that damned letter. Tyler picked it up from the table and ripped it to shreds, promptly throwing it away afterwards. "I love all of you, and I'm so sorry." They seemed a little shocked by the words but smiled anyway. 

After awhile, Jenna and Josh came in, Pete and Brendon leaving to give the four of us privacy. Jenna hugged me tight into her chest and kissed my head. "I would have missed you so much Mom," I said quietly into her shoulder. She nodded and whispered back "I would have missed you just as much, Lane." I smiled at that. Josh came next, sitting next to me on the bed and wrapping a single arm around my shoulders and kissing the side of my head as we just existed together. No words were necessary. Soon enough, I drifted off into Josh's side, the exhaustion of the day finally hitting me all at once. My last thought was about Alex, how he said I wasn't supposed to be there yet. For once in my life, I believed him. 

a/n: new chapter is up! I think this book will end soon after another handful of chapters and i really love this book honestly. have a great day, love you all |-/