//seven - family beginnings//

Tyler's POV

Minutes passed as Josh, Lane, and I all tidied up the house, clearing dish washers and picking throw pillows up. Then, I heard a light knock on the door. I went to open it, immediately being pulled into a tight embrace with Jenna.

Her hair was pulled back into a low ponytail, leaving her bright blue eyes to sparkle even in the clouded winter of Ohio. She cuddled her head into my chest and looked up at me, pecking me quickly on the lips before finally releasing me. It had been a while since I'd gotten to see her, and I didn't realize how much I missed her.

"Get a room, guys." I heard Josh scoff jokingly from the kitchen. We joined him there, Jenna hugging him tightly and sharing small conversation. Soon, Lane walked through the door way unaware of anything beyond her phone.

Jenna didn't hesitate to wrap her into a hug, leaving Lane to jump for a second before reciprocating. I couldn't help but smile, watching my wife cradle the girl that was starting to become part of our family.

"It's so nice to meet you," Jenna started, looking at Lane.

Lane smiled, replying. "You too. I've heard a lot about you."

"Ditto," Jenna answered, laughing a bit.

The conversation took myriad turns and the four of us stood there for what felt like hours, just talking. These were the people I had in my life. I was once like Laney, falling apart slowly and unsure what was left, but I had all this to look forward to. My grin couldn't leave my face that day.

Laney's POV

My phone buzzed angrily in my pocket as I talked with Josh, Jenna, and Ty in the cramped kitchen.

"I'll be right back," I said, somewhat nervously. I hated phone calls, and no one would need to call me. The number lit up my screen, unknown.

"Yes?" I whispered in reply.

"Is this Laney Madison Roberts?" a monotoned woman asked.

"Speaking."

"Your father, Eric Roberts, has been found dead. Gunshot, self-inflicted." I choked on the tears brimming my eyes.

"W-W-What?"

"He's dead, m'am. Would you be able to come to the hospital?" My jaw hung open, tears now free falling. This man I despised, the man I left, killed himself. It was my fault, wasn't it? I was all he had left. He may of hated me, but I was all he had. No one deserved to die. "Sweetie, are you still there?"

I sniffled quickly, "Yes. I'll be there as soon as I can." The dial tone rang out as she hung up, her life completely normal still and mine falling from orbit. I fell on the ground with a thump, completely shocked.

I saw Tyler enter in the doorway, beginning to check to see what took so long and finding me in the ground in tears. He rushed over, coming to my aid like he had so many times in the past few days. In that moment, my emotions stopped. The tears ceased and my voice was only slightly croaking. I couldn't give much more for this sad, drunk man I once knew right now.

"We need to go to the hospital."

I grabbed a black hoodie and threw it over my bare shoulders while explaining everything to Tyler. He hugged me tightly and though his warmth was comforting, I still felt numb to it all. I told Josh, his response similar, and Jenna, not knowing the whole story, whispered her condolences in my ear while playing with my messy blue hair and hugging me. Soon enough, the crowded car pulled into the parking lot. I opened the door and stepped out with Josh while Tyler and Jenna went to park. I took a breath in, staring up at the building.

"You can do this." Josh said, wrapping his arm around my shoulders and looking up at the building just like me. I nodded, feeling slightly more confident now.

"I'm the daughter of Eric Roberts. I was told to come here." The croak of my crying had disappeared completely.

"Yes of course," the nurse answered sympathetically. "He was ID'd and everything. We asked you here to know if you wanted to arrange a service yourself or do something simply funded by the state."

"State." I answered quickly, no hesitation holding me back anymore. The nurse nodded. I recognized her from some of my late nights here.

"And finally, considering you're a minor, you'll need legal guardians to stay with or you'll need to stay at a home for kids in your position." Her words now stung, and all feeling came back in that moment, a shock down my spine buckling my knees. Josh held me up, asking the nurse for a couple minutes to think.

He sat me down in his lap, enveloping me into a hug. "What am I going to do?" I asked Josh. Tyler and Jenna had come in at some point.

"You'll stay with us, of course." Jenna answered. Her voice was genuine but my head screamed about the lie should was most likely saying.

"It needs to be legal guardians or people who want to adopt me, I can't just stay with people because I'm a minor."

"Well, honestly, Josh, Jenna, and I all talked about making you officially part of the family anyway. Why don't Jenna and I adopt you?" My chest tightened in that moment, leaving a mess of feelings in my head. They wanted me, but maybe it was all pity. But, I wanted to believe that they wanted me. I for once wanted to believe the good things.

"I can't do that to you guys."

"Yes, you can." Josh answered, pulling me closer.

"Of course, you can." Tyler seconded. "Besides, we're starting tour soon anyway and we wanted you to come but having you officially be our daughter makes getting you into the shows a lot easier." He chuckled a little after that, making me smile.

"Are you sure? I don't know how worth it I really am." I only whispered it, but Josh'd head turned to reply.

"Yes, because we love you." I flung my whole body over Josh, Tyler and Jenna coming to join.

We spoke to the agent I was assigned by the state and the paperwork and background checks began. Everything started falling into place a bit.

a/n: hope you guys enjoyed. everything seems to be looking up a bit for now and there will be tour chapters coming v soon. please eat something today and take time for yourselves. stay alive guys |-/