Chapter 27

Skip's POV:

I tried so hard to calm down Emma, but nothing seemed to be working. She felt terrible for what she said to Lisa, but she couldn’t take it back. She told me that she felt bad for causing me and Luke to get into a small fight, but I told her it was no big deal. Luke and I were best friends; we wouldn’t let a little fight like this come between us.

By the time we got back to the Brooks’ residence, Emma was calmed down. I saw Beau coming over to me and my mood immediately changed. I was still furious with him for what he did to me. I thought we were better friends than that.

“Hey Daniel… can I talk to you?” he said to me.

“About what? There’s nothing to talk about.”

“I just want you to know my side of the story.”

“No Beau, I understand completely. You just wanted Luke back. We don’t need to talk about anything. We’re fine, alright?”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, don’t worry about it.”

I knew I would get over what Beau did eventually, so why should I make a big deal of it? Life’s too short for that.

LUKE’S POV:

There she goes… she was gone. Who knows if I would ever see her again?

No. I couldn’t just let her leave like this. She HAD to stay. I ran to my house, and when I got there everyone greeted me. “Sorry guys can’t talk. Emma come with me.” I said as I ran out of the house and Emma followed.

“What’s going on?!” Emma said.

“It’s Lisa, she is on her way to the airport to go back to Florida, and I need your help to convince her to stay.”

“She’s not going to want to listen to me Luke! You saw what happened back at the park, she probably hates my guts.”

“I just need you to try okay.”

I sped all the way to the airport, hoping there weren’t any cops following me. I made it all the way to the airport in about 15 minutes, when normally its takes about 25 or 30. Emma and I ran inside and looked all around for Lisa. Emma found her looking at the flight times and we both ran over to her. She looked surprised to see us.

“You didn’t think I would just let you leave, did you?” I said to her, wrapping my arms around her. I could feel her tears seeping through my shirt.

“Can we at least talk about this?” Emma said.

We all sat down on a bench against a wall near the entrance of the airport.

“Lisa, why are you leaving?” Emma asked.

“I just can’t do this anymore. I miss my mom, I miss my other friends, and I miss home.”

“Why didn’t you just tell us that before?” I said to her.

“Because… because it’s not true. I feel like I am in the way of your friendships Luke. And when Emma and Skip were ganging up on me at the park, I knew it was just time to go home…”

“Lisa, you can’t go home. You have to stay, I need you to stay.”

“Are you sure Luke? Of course I want to stay, but I just want to be sure…”

I grabbed Lisa’s hands and kissed her. “Does that answer your question?”

“Yeah.” She said smiling back at me.

I was glad I convinced her to stay. I knew that her staying would be tough at first, just with her finding a job and going to school, but I was here to help her every step of the way.

We headed back to my house to join the rest of the group and to share the great news of Lisa staying.