Chapter 8

What was I supposed to do? Was I supposed to chase after him? There was no way I could catch up to him. Before I even had a moment to react to Luke running off, Beau immediately ran after him.

“WHERE ARE YOU GOING MAN?!” Beau yelled to Luke.

Luke didn’t answer, he just kept running. Beau gave up trying to catch him and came back over to watch the movie.

Beau turned around to face me and asked, “What was he saying?”

“He said he needs to go find Luke, and he couldn’t wait until tomorrow. He said something about it being a “twin thing.”

Beau turned around and resumed watching the movie.

I joined James who was sitting all alone in the grass. I had wanted to get to know James a little bit more. He was definitely the quiet one of the group but whenever he said something it usually ended up being hilarious. He was definitely someone that I would love to hang out with and become friends with.

“Hey James.” I said as I sat down next to him.

“Hey uh… Lisa, right?”

“Yeah, ha-ha. Crazy about Jai, right?”

“Yeah, I guess. I’m not too worried about him. He’s old enough to take care of himself.”

“You’re not worried? But isn’t he your best friend?”

“He WAS my best friend…” James got up and started walking away.

Did James have something to do with Jai and Kerry disappearing?

LUKE’S POV:

I needed to find Jai. I wouldn’t be able to sleep until I did. I felt kind of bad for ditching everyone back at the park, but my brother is more important to me than anything. I could just sense that he’s in trouble. I have never been a big believer in the whole “twin telepathy” thing, but I can tell when my brother needs me, and this was one of those moments.

I was really nervous to be walking around the town all by myself when its pitch black outside and after midnight… Needless to say, I was scared. There wasn’t anyone walking around me, but even the slightest sound would make me flinch. I heard a leaf brush against the sidewalk and I just about wet my pants, after jumping a good three feet in the air. I have never walked around the city so late, I just didn’t feel safe. I learned later that I had good reason to be scared.

I started hearing footsteps behind me, but I didn’t think much of them at all. I was finally getting used to the creepiness of the city at night. I knew turning around would scare me a lot more than I was already scared.

I wish I turned around before it was too late…