Chapter XLIX

Lana's POV

With each step I took, I could feel the confidence slipping away from me.. The panic slowly gripping me. And no it wasn't because of fear of what might happen that night.. It seemed like no such fear gripped me as I was rather lead by anger, fury and the need for vengeance than dread.

But I was simply weak at the thought of saying it out loud.. Of confessing it all to my mother.. Of telling her it was all going down that night and that I ready to die if it meant saving those I loved.. Christian. He was what matter, he was the only thing that mattered.. The only one that kept me sane and focused rather on his love than the vengeance that was so determined to rule me..

All the truth was about to come to surface as I held his hand and seemingly held my breath.. Walking down the path towards the lake house and thinking of all the ways there really were to say the truth to my mother.. Regretting ever keeping it a secret from my father. He was gone now.. Gone before I could really say a word. Before I gathered the confidence I needed. And that regret was still pushing down on my chest.

"I need her to keep my brothers safe," I told Christian for the millionth time, stopping in the garden, unable to let go of his hand that held mine well gripped..

I was pulled closer just like that. "Should I go in there and tell her to lock you in as well?" I ran my fingers over that perfectly chiseled cheekbone of his, those features that were so sharp and eyes of nothing but danger..

"We spoke of this." I told him with distraction, already assured that I was in fact very much ready to tell my mother.. "Everything will be fine.. You already earned her trust. I think on some level, she knows.." It seemed like I finally exhaled the breath I was holding, somewhat calmed at the feel of his touch.

But it was that moment his phone buzzed, and even though he seemed very much determined to ignore it, not wanting to look away or even check who it was hat was calling him, he still mumbled some cuss and reached for his pocket.

"It's Dimitri," He seemed to be reading the text with focus and a frown. "He wants me to call him. Seems like those Vesnetsovs agreed on meeting with us." Good. That was good news. It meant they were willing to cooperate.

It was that faint smile that curled my lips. "Go on. I'll try making this quick as well." To that he mouthed a slight 'okay' and looked at me with such intensity, I felt like he could read me better than I could really read myself.. With one last caress over my hair, he walked off and I continued towards the porch..

Guards were all around.. I made sure there was always at least a few around the door, down the porch, and they surely did see the moment I had with Christian.. But none dared to pay attention. Everyone was already aware of the union that was about to be official between the vampires and us wolves..

I walked inside, pressing my back against the door until it clicked.. And I knew my mother heard, but to my surprise she didn't appear like she usually used to. I did understand how hard it was for her to get used to the new situation..

  To dad being gone and us having to stay away from our home.. That place we grew up in and beat all our enemies from.. It was no longer that.. No longer safe enough. No longer our home but the place that dozens died at.. Including our father.

  "Mom?" I called after her, but once again, there was not a trace of her even being in the house.. I glanced at one of our people that guarded the inside too. "Where's my mother? What's even going on?"