Chapter X

Lana

  I underestimated the utter blackness of nighttime in the woods. In my memory the trees would always stay black trunks against a bluish charcoal sky, the path would become deepest brown and the moonlight would bleach the stones within it. I had spent my whole life wandering around them. I knew every inch of the space around my house.. However, this was completely on the north. I wasn't so familiar with it, and I couldn't understand how Christian knew them so well.

   Even if there was a moon tonight its silvery rays would not penetrate the dense canopy above. I sound could not be heard, and I was thankful that it wasn't full moon tonight. We both had dam good reasons why we didn't want a pack in our way, and this territory wasn't familiar to me. My father had took me there a few times.. The thing was, his only response to me asking to go out was, 'It's not safe enough'. Till this day, I had no clue why. However, there were good chances that I was going to find out tonight.

  "Are you sure we're in the right direction?" I asked, watching him take a step over a fallen tree and continue walking a few meters in front of me.

  He seemed too concentrated to answer. "Yes." I jumped over, trying to catch up to him, but he was walking too fast and again was a step before me. "Aren't you supposed to know this place better than me?"

  "I think you're doing pretty well on your own." I mumbled, not exactly answering his question, but once again he didn't bother turning around.

  "Yea, I know. I don't understand why I thought you would be out of help." He stopped for a second, again a meter or so in front of me. "Your father spoiled you too much."

  "Hey!" Finally catching up to him, I stopped next to him, but no, I still didn't get his attention. "He didn't spoil me, he,-" I cut myself off, looking down at my slightly muddy boots. He owed me a lot. "He said it wasn't safe here, and I see why. I can't see a damn thing in front of me."

  I noticed how he followed my gaze down my boots before he looked at me. I tried ignoring him, but his voice always caught my attention. "That's good. Because it means that we can't be seen either." With that he continued walking, once again leaving me a few feet behind. I had little legs comparing to him, it wasn't fair.

   The twilight had passed rapidly, and with it being replaced by the night, it could be no blacker than in a coffin. Well, it wasn't that dark, I just never found that comfort without the moon on the sky. I had spent my life in a closed circle with my family and the rest of the pack. Moondale was as far as I would usually go, without taking turns in the woods unless I needed to. I was taught to travel in pack, and this was the exact opposite of that. With a Le Boursier on top of everything.

  My senses were sharpening with each second that passed, and I followed every little step he took, just in case. I had to make sure that no one was around other than the two of us, and it was hard to concentrate on my hearing when his loud steps could be mistaken for horse's. He didn't take in consideration that the leaves underneath his feet made hell of a noise, and at times like that we were supposed to be as careful as possible, especially on a unknown territory.

  We had no map to follow either, and I had never taken this way towards the house.. Well, the lake house as my father used to call it. He usually went there alone, and Marco's suggestion was pretty convincing, so I decided to keep my part of the deal, and tell Christian about it. Nothing was sure yet, of course. I had to take my mind off things, because I was starting overthink the whole situation, and with that, I could end up getting back home. Which, by the way, was not the best choice at the moment.

  I cleared my throat slightly. "So," I started off, still a small step behind him. It was getting really pissed with having to look at his large back the whole way. "Were you part of the war?" Why the hell did you ask that?