Chapter XLIII

Lana

  Coming awake after what felt like days of unconsciousness felt more exhausting than the realization of the fact that I was sleepwalking did. Perhaps I had passed miles, from woods through roads.. All controlled by the very witches that wanted me dead..

  It seemed like the memories of that dark night hit me the very minute my mind found its way that reality, so instantly terrified by the simple thought of how easy it was for those witches to mess with so many lives.. They came back from the dead, for god's sake. They held more power than we could imagine.

The dimly lighted room was a true blur when my eyes managed to flatter open.. My mind was struggling to come to some realization of where I might be. The last memories I could find my way around were still puzzled. I was not so sure on how I witnessed everything or how I found myself being a part of it..

  All I remembered was waking up in the middle of the night, with nearly frozen bones, covered in mud and tied to a tree.. My feet were cut and bruised, and so I found myself so carefully trying to move my toes now that I was awake, opening my eyes and staring at the high ceiling. Christian was the first thing that came to my mind.. I called him. Did I?

  "Lana?" A familiar tone filled the air.. Strict yet worried. A simple glance on the side was enough to see that picture of my father sitting on a chair beside the bed. I felt a caress over my hair. I was still confused. "You're home, angel, you're safe."

  I moved that very instant. No, something isn't right. I could remember seeing Christian. I could remember being in his arms. And at such state, it wasn't hard for the worst to hit my thoughts quicker than I could even start assuming. Panic consumed and I found myself jerking my body to sit up.

  "Christian.." His name escaped my lips as if it was the only thing I knew.. I searched my father's worried face, how he carefully followed my moves to provide me from hurting myself. "He-"

  "He saved you." He said. And I found myself frowning in confusion on whether or not I was missing something. Christian's name being mentioned and followed by my father admitting I was saved by him.. It sounded awfully odd. "Did he?"

  And that was the real question I was waiting for.. My father didn't trust any vampires, especially not the Le Boursiers. And with my life.. God, that sounded almost ridiculous. So when he showed his doubt on whether or not it was really Christian that, I almost felt relief. How long was I out? How much did I miss? Certainly not enough for my father to take vampires' side..

  I leaned back on the headboard of the bed.. Playing with my fingers did not take distract me enough. I couldn't not focus on the very subject we had already started discussing.. Christian saving me.

  "You saw it?" I asked, unsure of how much my father had witnessed.

  "I saw him carry you out of the woods.." He continued, leaning his elbows on his knees and intertwining his fingers together. "But it could be all a game they planned out.. Who took you to that house?"

  It was like being asked to talk about my worst nightmare after living it.. I didn't even know how to start explaining that I didn't remember a thing on how I managed to wind up there. All I knew was that I was desperate to call someone that I trusted more than anything and of course that was Christian..

  "No one.." I started, thinking on how I was going to explain the things that I knew of, things that I kept wondering about, yet couldn't stop or protect not even myself, let alone those I loved. Dark magic. "Those witches.. They want me dead."

  My father being a protector of thousands throughout his entire life, didn't fail to do an even more extreme job when it came to protecting his own family. I was very mu familiar with his methods, how he did them and why he did them. I knew that magic was the very thing he has always warned us about.