Running Away

The day was gloomy outside, matching Liam's mood perfectly. He sat alone next to Zayn in silence because no amount of apologies would bring him back. Liam had no intention of finding the others, and checking to see how they were holding up. He needed a break from everything. It was beginning to feel claustrophobic in this stadium.

He took one final glance at Zayn and said his goodbyes. He promised they would meet again in the afterlife. When the coast was clear, he snuck out through one of the side exits. The guards posted at the exit let him go without an issue since Liam sworn he would return. Liam just left out when he would come back.

It was quiet in the deserted city, which is something Liam desperately needed. The further he got from camp, the more at peace he felt. He debated on whether he should pack up his things and go for good. Running from his problems seemed like a much better idea than just facing them.

Liam just wanted to escape the pain of losing a loved one. If he couldn't protect Zayn, then how was he supposed to keep the others safe. There was too much responsibility on his shoulders. He didn't want to worry about the German group, or help his boyfriends mourn Zayn.

"You running away too?" a voice asked behind Liam, startling him. He turned around to see Harry holding a backpack full of clothes.

"I just needed some air" Liam responded, staring disappointedly at his boyfriend.

"Liam, you don't have to lie to me. The sun is setting and we are miles away from the camp. If you planned on going back, you would have by now."

Liam frowned, looking up at the sky which was darkening by the second. He hadn't realized how much time had passed or how far he had traveled. "Where do you plan on going?"

"Away from here, maybe I'll join a new group of scavengers."

"What about Niall and Louis?"

"I'll just suppress my emotions like before."

"Please don't leave" Liam begged, his voice cracking at the end as he held back tears.

Harry shrugged, dropping his bag to the ground. He collapsed to his knees, letting the tears flow freely. The wind picked up speed around the two boys. "He wasn't supposed to die. We were supposed to rescue him. I would understand if you blamed me for Zayn's death."

An immense guilt filled Liam for blaming Harry. He knew Harry tried his hardest to save him. "I could never blame you. I'm mad at myself for not going. If I went things could have gone differently, but I was selfish. I thought of only myself and the Germans, but not of my boyfriends."

Liam pulled Harry into a hug. "Stay for me. If you leave we can never avenge Zayn."

"I don't want to watch anyone else I love die" Harry confessed, crying against Liam's chest. "I need to leave before I change my mind."

Harry pushed away from his boyfriend and stood up. "Tell the others I'm sorry and that I love them." With his powers, he levitated himself off the ground and began to fly away from Liam.

"Harry noooo" Liam screamed, grabbing at his arm. Harry moved his hand and sent his boyfriend one last glance before disappearing into the clouds. "Come back" he yelled, knowing Harry was long gone.

Somehow Liam felt worse on the way back to the camp, then when he left in the morning. The guards stopped him at the entrance, but once they realized it was Liam he was allowed through. When he walked onto the field he was swarmed by the other German leaders and Caroline.

They all seemed angry at him, which Liam understood he did leave without telling anyone. "Where the hell have you been?" Jacobs questioned, getting up in the boy's face.