Chapter 42 Lost Innocence

Start from the beginning

        In a sudden grunt, Conan smacked his scarred eye with his hand.

        “Why do I remember her like that? Why?” Ever since Olivia disappeared the memories began more frequent.

        The first one was that night he confronted Margery, but her evasiveness got him nowhere.

        ‘Could me not being a real Lycan be connected with Margery and these memories?’ he thought in frustration.

        Thinking back on whatever those memories were, he finally understood what his supposed mother meant.

        Would he make a scene again just to get an ice-cream cola?

        ‘Of course not…’ His eyes scanned the concrete sidewalk as he slumped in the bench.

        Life is a fragile phenomenon, and of course, he could not blame himself for being selfish at the time. He was just a child—if indeed those memories belonged to him. Even at his present age, understanding how fleeting and taken for granted a life could be was not so easy.

        The only reason he knew now was because of his not so human life.

        “Immortals…we are granted eternal life, resilience, and for what? To fight and kill each other for power and supremacy?” he said particularly to no one as he sat alone on the bench.

        People passed by here and there but no one ever gave him any thought. Not even when a soft wind circulated right next to him—materializing in the object of his search.

        “I understand you completely.” Her voice broke his chain of thoughts as soon as her body manifested from the winds.

        Out of shock, Conan stood and stared at the witch. He then scanned the area around in order to see if any of the humans were making a commotion, but oddly enough, no one seemed to notice.

        “Are you insane? Do you want the Covenant on your ass?” Conan growled at her.

        But the elderly looking woman wearing nothing but a white gown, remained unaffected by his tone.

        “Come now pup, I am not new at this. It is fairly easy to conceal myself from the human eye,” she said.

        Conan growled again, but decided to calm down and sit next to her.

        “So why show up now? I’ve been trailing you since the day you were freed,” he questioned.

        As if giving it some thought, Skylar shrugged. “I did not even know someone was tracking me.” Upon hearing the statement, Conan almost raged at the woman. How could he have been insulted like that?

         “Are you freaking kidding me?” he yelled, now facing her again.

        “You are an impatient one, aren’t you?” Skylar voiced without looking at Conan.

        Massaging the bridge of his nose, Conan tried to alleviate his anger. Yes, it was insulting to realize that his efforts to chase her down was not even acknowledged, even more so when she managed to effortlessly outmaneuver him.

        But then again, all he needed to do was find her, send her towards the group of Immortals Ezekias was intent on killing, and that was that. The old man would be off his back for a while, allowing Conan more time to snoop around and figure out what he was.

        Then again, there was the problem of Olivia’s disappearance. No matter how much he told himself that everything was alright, in the pit of his stomach, he felt knots brewing. They threatened his resolve and ate away at his willingness to continue.