one

I just spent one of the best weekends ever with my dad and brother. Sadly, I'm back home.

A few days ago was my birthday, and my dad took his weekend off to spend time with my brother and I. We visited the whole New York City. The Zoo, Empire State Building, we even saw a Broadway show. We ate ice cream and pizza and everything not healthy you could think of. It was just the three of us. And, I swear to God, it was perfect.

Unfortunately, I had to come home because I start high school tomorrow. My Junior year. Yay, I can't wait.

"I am going to miss you so much!" I said, hugging my father before I walk in my house.

"I'll miss you too, Kay."

I break the hug and walk to my brother.

"You know, you can come in and see mom if you want," I suggested. "She'd be happy to see you."

He looks at our dad, maybe asking for permission.

"I can wait for you, Gabe. Go and say hi to your mother."

"Alright then. I'll be right back."

We walk to the front door and I open it.

"Mom, I'm home! And I have company!" I yelled as we were taking our shoes off.

She walks downstairs wearing a bathrobe. Her mouth drops when she sees my brother.

"Gabe! My sweet boy!"

She comes fast to us and hugs him fast. I laugh as I watch them.

"Come in! Oh, are you hungry? Or thirsty?"

"No, thanks. I can't stay long. Dad is waiting outside."

"Oh, he's here?"

"Well, yeah, he brought me home," I said.

"Right. Anyway, I am so happy I could see you."

She hugs him again and kisses his cheek. I bite my lips to stop my laughter.

"Me too, mom. Bye!"

He hugs me too before exiting the house.

"How was New York?" she asked me as we walked in the living room.

"I loved it. We saw a musical on Broadway, we visited the Zoo, I saw the sunset from the Empire State Building..."

"I am glad you had fun."

We are interrupted by Lucas, my step-father, who walks in the living room. I roll my eyes when I see him.

"I see that you're back," he said, almost spitting the words.

"Well, I wished I could stay more there, but I guess we're both disappointed," I sarcastically said smiling.

"Kayla..."

"Yes, mom?"

"You should go to your room and get ready for tomorrow."

"Yeah, you're right."

I grab my bag and run up to my room. Fortunately, I don't meet Andrew or Michelle, aka Lucas's twins. They are just like their father. A pain in the ass.

I lock my door and crash on the bed. I look around and sigh. Tomorrow I start high school. Ugh, I don't want to go back there. It's horrible.

My phone starts ringing and I look at the screen. My face brightens when I see Jason's name.

"Hey!"

"Hi! How are you?"

"I've just arrived. Sadly. I already miss my dad and my brother."