Chapter 30

I'm suddenly up for milkshake so we went to the nearest diner we can find. Michael wanted to pay for the milkshake I ordered, but I insisted, but he's Michael so he paid for it even before I can get my wallet out of my bag. He ordered one too and said that he has been craving for one also and I'm glad that he's up for milkshake because I don't want to force him to drink something he doesn't like.

We remain silent for a few minutes after the milkshakes are served. I'm actually having fun watching him enjoying his milkshake. He looks like he didn't have one for years. I didn't notice how attractive Michael is. I mean, yes, of course, I know he is attractive but once you stare at him for so long, you will notice how much being pale suits him. The way his big lips wrapping around the straw as he sips on his drink and how red those lips are.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this because I'm starting to like him. I just think that I didn't appreciate it enough before. I guess he notices me staring because he looks up from the milkshake and raises his eyebrow at me.

"What?" He asks.

"Nothing." I chuckle as I sip the straw. "You just look cute drinking milkshake."

He laughs. "I look cute drinking milkshake ha."

"Oh, shut up," I say, jokingly rolling my eyes.

"So." He says as he randomly pokes his milkshake with the straw. "How are you?"

I just realize that this is the longest conversation I had with one of the boys since that night at Luke's house. I didn't notice that by staying away from Luke, I'm also staying away from them. They're my friends and I even consider them first real friends I've made. I don't want to lose them now and I'm an idiot for noticing this just now.

I guess if Selena didn't tell me to tell Luke to forget me, of course, I wouldn't have the urge to skip school and without the urge, I wouldn't go to Michael. Sighing, I run a hand through my hair, thinking that everything really happens for a reason.

"Hey, Caroline." Michael snaps his fingers a few times in front of my face. "Are you still with me?"

"Yes," I answer instantly. "I'm good. Things are fine. How about you?"

He scoffs, slightly chuckling. "Don't bring the topic to me. You know that I'm always fine. How are you?"

He repeats the question as though my answer to it isn't valid, but it's true. Okay, maybe it's not, but it is just because of what happened earlier. If I didn't have to talk to Luke like that, surely, I'll be okay now. I'm moving on. Yes, maybe it's hard but it doesn't mean that I have to be not okay.

"I'm fine, Michael." It's more on a heavy sigh than a response.

"Tell me what happened," He says as he crosses his arms. "Why do you suddenly want to skip classes?"

Should I tell him? I can't tell him that Selena told me to tell that to Luke because Michael might just tell that to Luke and all my efforts to do that will be wasted. I should not tell him.

"Nothing." I shrug as though skipping classes is a normal thing for me. It's not. "I'm bored."

"Really?" He smirks. "That was not what your face said when you entered the library."

I roll my eyes. He always manages to read people's thoughts. "Stop it."

"You look eager." He continues. "Desperate even. Why?"

"You know what, Michael," I say, realizing something. He raises his eyebrow at me, telling me to go on. "You're not as dumb as you look."

I laugh as he glares at me. "What do you mean?"