Chapter 5

"Will you walk home?" Ashton asks as we walk side by side.

"Nope." I shake my head. "I'll take the bus."

Well, after he texted the night he asked for my number, we started to be closer to each other than normal. What happened to my promise that I will never be friends with them? Let's just say that being friends with Ashton wouldn't hurt my promise. I mean, come on, he's good as an angel. I'm sure as hell that he wouldn't do anything that would hurt me physically or emotionally. He couldn't even kill a god damn fly.

Unlike Luke, when I'm with him, it always looks like he wants to kill me or hurt me physically. And about what happened to us on his birthday, I haven't told anybody about it, not even Sam. And I guess he also kept his mouth shut because Ashton never talk about it or even the other two. That was also the last physical contact we shared and I'm very thankful for that because him being like that confuses me a lot.

Like, most of the time I know he's annoyed with me just like how I'm irritated by his presence, but when he did that at Calum's party, I don't know what I felt. I was sure that I didn't hate him that time and all I could think about was me being trapped between him and the wall. The second time he did that, I felt the same thing. There was no hate, just the fact that I don't know what to do and what to feel.

"So," Ashton mumbles, putting his hands in his pockets. "I'll text you later then."

I smile widely. "Sure."

"Or maybe I'll call you." He chuckles.

"Sure." I shrug as we reach the entrance of the school. "Whatever you want."

He nods before stopping on his tracks to face me. "I would really love to drive you home, but I still need to do something important. I'm so sorry."

I smile. "I told you it's okay. I understand and you don't even need to."

He licks his lips and smiles. "Take care, Caroline."

Obviously, he had his own car. So after he waves goodbye, he turns around and begins walking towards the parking lot. Then there's me, walking towards the street, to the nearest bus stop.

I grip tightly the strap of my backpack as I lick my lips. Even though they are still far from me, I could already see the girls from junior and senior year, aka the hardcore fans of 5sos in this school. I actually try to avoid them as much as I could because every time I pass by them, all I'll get are hard glares and them rolling their eyes at me.

Sighing, I put my head down just like what I always do when I'm walking past them. It's better to avoid their burning glares than greet them back the same way. Even though I am looking down, I am too occupied with my thoughts to notice the thin rope spread across my pathway and I instantly trip, arms and knees first because I used them as my support.

As I roll on my back, groaning, I could feel the pain on my arms and knees that are now scratched with fresh cuts. Before I could even think of standing up from the cold ground, they start throwing flour and eggs at me. I couldn't put my arms up as a defense because my cuts would hurt as hell. So, I couldn't do anything but just to keep my eyes shut and to try to hide my face.

I'm helpless and definitely outnumbered. I couldn't do anything to save myself and I only know one person who could save me right now from everything, I doubt he would come but in this kind of situation, my hopes are high.

"Ashton." I murmur in pain as I try to roll over again. I hiss loudly as my knees slightly scratch the ground as I roll over. They are still not done throwing flour and eggs at me. I'm sure my clothes are covered in white, my hair is sticky because of the eggs and I can taste the flour in my mouth.