Chapter 18

RUSSEL HENDRICKS

Damn! The moment I realized, he had gone. How sly he was? Using my fingers, I combed my hair. I knew in my joy received the old friends I had unconsciously neglected him. I forgot to treat him well.

So this is what he meant? The day he mentioned booked the ticket when talking over the phone. Who the other person? I smashed the half-filled wine glass to the floor, shattering it into a thousand pieces. How dare he violated our promise?

"Hey, are you okay?" Maxim's voice sound close to me. I'd distance myself from him.

"Ah, nothing. Sorry the glass broken because my hand slip it."

"Fool, I could replace it with a few more dozen." Maxim laughed. "Why you look so agitated in these two days? It was like you revert to being the Cold Emperor again."

"Nothing." Maxim cupped my face.

"Hmm, can't I replaced the person? He had gone now." He paused as studying my reaction, "Russel give me one chance and I will bring the happiness into your life again."

"Can't. I'd placed my love for only one person. I really appreciated you as a best friend. I am sorry if I'd give you a hope because one night mistake."

"Russel, I don't mind it. Really. I'd loved you since our schooling day. And, even before you meet Nathan. I don't mind if you treat me as a replacement as long as I could have you."

"I am more comfortable with the fact you stayed as a friend. I am sorry, Max." I grab the car's key together with the phone, leaving Max without saying good night.

I was aware about Maxim's feeling toward me. However, no matter what I only can view him as a best friend, closer than any my other friends. Otherwise, I will not place so much trust in him. The only bad mistake I did when sleeping with him after Nathan dead. A mistake caused by overbearing misery.

That night we are totally drunkard after half a year Nathan buried six feet under. A night where I really surrendered under misery conceptual and drowned in alcohol as well sexes to relieve the pain. The next morning, I felt a great guilty using Maxim as a tool, although it was only for happened at one night. However, I never stop succumbing to dirty world, addicting to one nightstand and alcohol afterward.

Tonight was not Maxim first confession and I may say it will not be the last too. Maxim had been in love with me since we entered Middle school and he also willing to transfer to boarding school a year after me. The day he realized how I viewed Nathan different from others had caused him really upset and confessed his feeling.

Because that time I'd set my heart to one person, I gave Maxim two options, either stay as my best friend or never show his face in front me. He blamed Nathan because I coldly treated him. Our friendship almost finished, but one day he showed up with an apologized.

Our relation going well after that. Nathan also regards him as his best friend. Maxim is a good person except the loved he harboured for me. After I was kicked out from family, Maxim was the first person appeared and gave us a place to call home.

After, Nathan dead, Maxim once again tried his luck. And yeah, he almost succeeds until I realized I couldn't love anyone else except Nathan. I ignored anything related to love when I was with Maxim and thanks God he is not a fool to not understand the subtle hint from me.

When I get my position back in the office, Maxim had been promoted to latest position. He was a big contributed when the company fell on my hand. Rachel is Nathan little sister. She always visited us when Nathan still alive and I used spoiling her to annoy Nate.