When Worlds Collide

Soos pulls up his truck to the high school. Mabel eagerly gets out while I follow, but stops. "Wait, Soos, I thought you said this place is empty?" she asks when we get inside.

"My dawgs, what up?" Wendy smiles, walking up to us. She stops and puts one hand on her hip as she leans on half her body.

"Wendy, what are you doing here?" Mabel's question must have soured Wendy's mood, because now she stands straight, with a slouch, and jabs her thumb behind her to all of the kids.

"Ugh. High school registration." Mabel seems to not notice her tone in voice as she jumps up and down giddily.

"Ooh! You know we're only a year away from high school, ourselves. Would you say your experience is more rom-com, or wacky romp?" Mabel asks, holding her hand up like she's gripping a microphone.

I take my hands, flatten them out, and cross them across my neck multiple times to Wendy, indicating for her not to tell Mabel what she's about to say.

"More like teen horror movie. High school is the worst. Classes get super hard, your body just flat out turns against you, and worst of all, everybody hates you." I sigh as Wendy points to the angsty teens all around. Mabel gapes in horror.

Shaking her head in disbelief, my sister asks, "Why aren't they singing about following their dreams? TV taught me that high school was like some sort of musical."

"TV lied, man! If you could avoid growing up, do it. I'd give anything to be 12 again. Anyway, what are you guys doing here?" The lumber-jack continues on how terrible school is.

"Wendy-please!" I try to stop her, but my voice falls deaf on all ears. 'Except maybe Soos...but he doesn't matter right now...'

The brunette chuckles sadly, "Oh, just looking for a place to have my 13th birthday party." She puts her head down. A teacher from the registration desk calls out our teenage friend's name incorrectly. Said girl blushes deeply and shrinks herself as everyone else laughs. 

Parting ways, Mabel sighs when exiting the building. "Aw, cheer up, Mabes!" I try, rubbing her shoulder. She doesn't give in as she lifts the walkie-talkie.

"Master Mabel to Dippidy Dog. We can have our party at the gym, but we gotta talk about high school. Starting to think it might not be the awesome future we were expecting. Over." I frown. 

'She seems extra depressed and we haven't even invited her friends yet!'

The device statics and Dipper's voice can be heard, albeit faint and scratchy, "I'm going through a bad patch, Mabel. We'll talk when I get back."

"Dipper? Come in!?" Mabel smacks the talkie a couple of times before sighing and giving up.

"Hey, don't worry. We're gonna have the best birthday!" I console her.

"Are you sure? Or are you just trying to make me feel better..." she mumbles, walking to the car with her hair over her eyes. Soos jogs up to her and I can see them converse from my spot on the sidewalk.

'What do I do, what do I do, what do I do, what do I do, what do I do...'

"W-wait up!" I get into the car and buckle myself. We start to drive off and Mabel looks up, seeming to be captivated on something. I look at the school sign. Looks completely normal. There are no letters spelling out 'NO ESCAPE'.

"Macie..." Mabel whispers, "di-did you see that...?"

"Yeah..." I answer. Bill seems to only want to trick Mabel and is leaving me out of it on purpose. 'What the heck is he planning?'