Chapter 6: Nuclear Bomb

Start from the beginning

"Emelia? It's Cameron!" He said, cheerfully.

I smiled and put my phone between my ear and shoulder so I could continue doing my makeup, "Oh hey, am I late?" I asked, finishing my layer of foundation.

"No, you still have a good twenty minutes. I was just calling to make sure you were still up for it." He said, his voice trailing off at the end.

"I may be a little bitchy but I wouldn't leave you hanging like that." I assured him, putting on my liquid eyeliner; winged.

"You're not bitchy, you're just... strong minded." He chuckled.

I laughed, "That's a nice way of saying I'm bitchy."

"But I didn't-"

"it's fine, I promise. I'll see you in ten." I hung up the phone and finished my makeup.

Once I finished, I grabbed my car keys and left out the house. I took a couple deep breaths as I started up the car.

"Don't blow this, Emelia." I gave myself a pep talk as I started driving, "Stay calm, don't be weird and for the love of all that is good, please don't freak out."

I got out my car and walked along the Santa Monica pier where Cameron asked me to meet him. Everyone was so happy and half dressed, enjoying the beautiful weather. Couples hugging and holding hands, friends walking around laughing loudly and taking pictures.

The sound of the ocean clashing onto the shore filled my ears along with the joyful laughter of everyone around me. Anguish rushed through my body as my eyes searched for Cameron. I rubbed my lips together, letting my Chapstick soak into my lips to keep them smooth and hydrated.

As I walked along, wanting to just give up on my search for Cameron, I heard my name being called from the distance in front of me. I squinted my eyes, shielding them from the bright burning sun as I looked for the person calling me. My eyes were soon met with the person calling me.

He sped walked over to me, a smile painted on his plump pink lips, "Hey," He said.

"Hey" I grinned. He held out his arms, asking for my body to be pressed against his in a friendly hug. I hesitated but before I could answer he had engulfed me into a hug.

I inhaled softly, my hands froze on both sides of him. I was uncomfortable and Cameron could sense that since he pulled away, "Sorry"

"I-Its fine." I shook my head, holding onto my warm upper arm.

"You look great," his eyes examining my outfit before meeting my eyes again. "Thanks," I replied, looking down at my shoes.

"Hey!" Cameron exclaimed, "Let's go get some frozen yogurt, yeah?"

I nodded, "Yeah sure." I grinned softly. He nodded his head towards the direction frozen yogurt shop, walking backwards. I followed along beside him, looking around at the beautiful palm trees. I've always loved palm trees, ever since I was little.

"So," Cameron said as we took a seat at the table, Froyo in our hand.

"Yes?"

"Tell me about yourself." He grinned, taking a spoonful of his yogurt and eating it.

"I've told you before, there's not much to me." I shrugged, twirling my spoon in my yogurt. I was trying to avoid that question.

"Oh come on, there's gotta be something." He smiled, "What do you like to do?"

"I draw, I dance, I sing and I play the guitar and piano." I nodded, licking my spoon clean of the delicious mixed berry yogurt.

Cameron raised his eyebrows, obviously surprised, "Wow, you're really talented!"

"Thanks" I gave him a hearty chuckle, raising my eyebrow slightly.

"Do you play any sports?" He asked, messing with his phone before putting it back in his pocket.

"Uh yeah, well just for fun." I shrugged, "I play soccer and volleyball."

"I use to play soccer and I play a little volleyball as well. Maybe we could play a little sometime." He said, a smile still painted on his lips. It was contagious.

"Yeah," I smiled, twirling my spoon in my yogurt, "maybe."

Cameron and I spent time together for hours, talking about future and little of our past. Of course I told him nothing about what I had endure as a child and throughout my teenage years. I was afraid of what he'd think, would he stop talking to me? Would he give me his unwanted pity? Would he still feel the same? I decided it was best to just leave that subject alone for a long time.

"So Emelia, can I ask you a question?" Cameron asked as we walked along the shoreline.

"Uh, sure" I said.

"Why did you freak out those times we hung out?" He asked, turning his head towards me.

I felt the color disappear from my face and my stomach drop in fear. I stopped in my tracks, my bare feet soaking into the freshly wet sand. I bit my bottom lip slightly and felt my hands start to shake.

Cameron stopped walking once I did and turned his body to face me, he was now standing in front of me. His eyebrows lowered and I could tell he was perturbed. He took his hands out his front pockets and tried to touch my arm in comfort but I moved it before he could.

"I-I," I tried to speak but the words just wouldn't come out.

"Hey, it's okay." Cameron said softly, his voice oozing comfort.

"You won't understand," I said, "no one ever does"

"I'm not like everyone else, you can tell me anything." Cameron smiled sweetly.

I shook my head, "I just don't wanna talk about it."

He nodded, "That's fine, you don't have to talk about it now." He assured me, "Just take a deep breath alright."

I did as he said and took a couple deep breaths. I covered my face with my hands in embarrassment, I just wanted to run away. I knew this day was to perfect to be true, I knew my past would come and ruin it. I felt tears form in the corners of my eyes and my heart burn from trying to hold them back.

"It's okay." Cameron cooed, not sure if he should hold me or not. I could tell he felt completely helpless at this point.

I lifted my head and shook it in disagreement, "It's not okay and it hasn't been okay for years and it probably won't ever be okay!" I exclaimed, feeling myself soon breakdown.

Cameron looked completely lost with what I was saying, his eyebrows were furrowed and his face was crunched up in confusion. I ran my hand through my hair, "This was a bad idea." I sighed.

"What was a bad idea? Emelia what are you talking about?" Cameron asked.

"This date! Me hanging out with you!" I shouted, my hands shaking as I talked, "I'm not fit to be around people, they always leave me in the end!" The tears finally spilled out my eyes.

"I'm not leaving you, Emelia." Cameron stated, stepping closer to me.

"Not yet." I whispered, tears spilling out my eyes and down my cheeks. My chest was hurt badly.

Cameron didn't say anything, he knew there was a possibility that he could leave me but he didn't wanna admit it.

As much as he might have wanted to be there for me, I was like a nuclear bomb waiting to explode and he was nothing but an innocent bystander.