46) 'Hey Lauren, How Are You?'

It seemed to take Ryder forever to arrive at my house, but the minute I saw his car pull into my drive-way I went and opened the front door.

'Hey', he smiled at me, walking up to me.

'Hi Ryder', I said, 'Look I'm really sorry about how I've been acting. I've been a total ass.'

'Don't apologize, I know how upset you've been', Ryder replied, kissing my cheek, 'Is that why you asked me over?'

'Not exactly', I said, catching hold of his hand, 'Lets go into the living room.'

'Sure', Ryder shrugged, following my lead.

Once inside, I started pacing the room, while Ryder sat on the couch.

'Lauren what's wrong?', he asked, looking worried.

'I, I've decided what I want to do next year', I told him.

'What?', Ryder beamed, jumping up and hugging me, 'That's great! What is it?'

'Journalism', I replied, avoiding his eyes.

'Awesome, so why are you looking so sad?', Ryder asked.

'Because the course I want to do', I started, 'Is in Ireland.'

'Oh', Ryder said, sitting down on the couch once more.

'Ryder', I sighed, sitting down beside him, 'You know I really care about you, right?'

'Yeah', Ryder whispered.

'Then you'll understand why, why I think we should break-up', I replied, hating myself for breaking his heart, 'It wouldn't be fair to you, if I was in a completely different country! The relationship just wouldn't work.'

'Yeah, I know', Ryder said, turning to look me in the eyes, 'Lauren I just want to you to know that I'll always care a lot for you.' 

'And I'll always care for you Ryder', I replied, 'Thank you so much for always being there for me.'

And that was it.

I hadn't expected Ryder to take the news so well, but I was really glad that we could still be friends.

The next few weeks past in a blur as I was got a place in my journalism course, and Jessica said that I could live with her. I don't know who was more excited, her or me!

Everybody in school was delighted for me ( Mr Walsh and Mr Shue told me they were really proud of me ), and soon it was time for Nationals.

Sam had organized that the songs we would perform were all Finn's favourites. After all, it was because of him that we had gotten that far in the first place.

Despite our best efforts, we didn't manage to win. We came second. Although we were disappointed, we knew that we had given it our best shot.

Then the day of our graduation arrived, and as I stood on the stage in the auditorium beside my fellow graduates, including Blaine, Sam, Tina, and Artie, I felt really proud of myself.

I had come to McKinley High School as a shy, naive little girl, and now I was leaving as a confident young woman. Sure there had been knocks and heartbreaks on the way, but I had gotten through them all.

That night we all went to 'Breadstix' to celebrate.

The next day I woke up early to start packing. I was leaving for Ireland in two days time so I HAD to get my stuff organized.

'What am I going to do without you?', my mother cried, as I finished packing my third suitcase.

'Mam don't worry, you'll be fine', I reassured her, 'You have dad, and if you still can't cope you can always get a puppy!'

'Oh very funny!', Mam sniffed.

'I'm serious', I smiled, going over and wrapping my arms around her, 'But seriously though, I'm really going to miss you too.'

'Gemma?', I heard my father call from downstairs, 'Do you want to go get the groceries now?'

'Can you go yourself?', Mam called back, 'I want to spend as much time with our daughter as I can.'

'Go Mam', I said, breaking away from her, 'It will do you good to get out into the fresh air.'

'Fine', Mam sighed, 'Do you want me to get you anything?'

'Nope', I said, going back to my packing, 'I'm good.'

'Okay we'll be back soon', Mam replied, walking out of my room.

'Seeya!', I called, and two minutes later I heard the front door close.

Five minutes later, as I struggled to close my last suitcase, I heard a knock on the front door.

Thinking it was my parents after forgetting something I called out, 'You'd forget your heads if they weren't attached to you', as I walked down the stairs.

Smiling at my own joke I opened the door, but stopped when I saw who was there.

'Um, hi', I gasped.

'Hey Lauren', Beau replied, 'How are you?'