11) Thank You For Telling Me

'He beat her and beat her, and I could do nothing', Beau sniffed, as he continued to tell me about his violent father, 'I was useless!'

'Beau', I whispered, 'How could you do anything? You were only a child.'

'I know but I could have tried something!', Beau replied, 'It was my mother Lauren!'

'So what happened?', I asked, 'Gina left him?'

'Yeah', Beau nodded, 'We moved to Australia from Italy, to my grandparents. Everything was great! We had friends and we were happy in Melbourne, but then he found us. So we moved here.'

'I had no idea Beau', I said, 'I'm so sorry.'

'It's alright', Beau shrugged, wiping his eyes, 'But please don't tell anyone Lauren. Only Skip and James know outside our family.'

'Of course I won't', I reassured him.

'Thanks', Beau said, 'It actually feels pretty good to tell you. When we got to know Skip and James we only told them because they were so nosy., but you seemed genuinely concerned.'

'Well you guys are my friends', I replied.

'You seriously call me your friend?', Beau asked, 'Even though I've been nothing but horrible to you since I've met you.'

'I thought we were', I replied, confused, 'Why? Don't you want to be friends?'

'Oh no!', Beau exclaimed, 'I do! Plus I apologize for being an asshole to you.'

'Apology accepted', I said, before standing up, 'Well I'd better get home. My parents will be wondering where I am.'

'Sure', Beau replied, getting up off his bed and putting his hands in his pockets, 'Hey, did you win your competition yesterday?'

'Yeah', I smiled, 'We did.'

'I knew you would', Beau replied.

'Well we wouldn't have if it hadn't been for Finn', I admitted, 'He arrived at the last minute and saved us.'

'He would', Beau mumbled in a sarcastic tone, looking down at the ground, not meeting my eyes.

'Yeah', I replied, confused by his reaction, 'Anyway, we got our trophy so we're preparing for Regionals now. It's really exciting!'

'Well you deserve it Lauren', Beau said, 'You're an amazing singer.'

'How do you know that?', I asked, laughing, 'You've never heard we sing!'

'Yes I have!', Beau smiled, 'I hear you when you're practicing in your room.'

'Oh God!', I exclaimed, 'I'm sorry! You don't have to put up with my screeching!'

'No, you're really good!', Beau replied.

'Well thanks Beau', I blushed, and then reached over and hugged him, And thank you for telling me about your dad. It was a really brave thing to do.'

'Um', Beau mumbled, as he hugged me back, 'You're welcome. Just don't tell anyone.'

'I already said that I won't', I said, breaking away from him, 'Trust me. Well I'd better be going.'

'Yeah, sure, see you Lauren', Beau replied, as I walked out of his bedroom.

As I went downstairs in the Brooks house, I saw Gina in the living room, and I couldn't help but think what an amazing woman she was. Even though she was still young, she had given birth to three amazing sons, been battered and bruised  by her ex husband, escaped from him, moved to Australia, and now was in America. Who else would have the strength to do that?

'Bye Gina', I called, as I reached the front door.

'Bye Lauren', she called back, and then I left the house.

That evening, as I was doing my homework, I looked out the window to see Beau watching TV in his room.

He must have know that I was watching him, because he looked up and smiled and waved at me. Giggling, I returned the gesture.

Smiling, I went back to my homework and he went back watching TV. 

It felt nice to finally be friends with ALL the Brooks family.