16) The Promise

The next morning I woke up in my bed with the sun shining through my window.

Sighing, I turned over, but then it came back to me. I had nearly been raped the night before.

I could see Anthony's eyes in my head, making me shiver.

Shaking, I decided to get up and have a shower, to try to wash the feel of him off me.

I had just passed my dressing table when I noticed something. Turning back, I saw it. A huge bruise on my left cheek. I put my hand up and touched it, and shuddered when pain started shooting through it.

I quickly walked out of my room and across the landing, not wanting to meet my parents.

Once in the bathroom I stripped off and stepped into the shower. The cool water felt good against my skin, which I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed, hoping it would make me feel less dirty and tainted. By the time I was finished, my skin was nearly red-raw, and sensitive to touch.

I quickly got out of the shower, and dressed in a fluffy bathrobe.

I was walking back to my room when I heard my mother call from downstairs, 'Lauren, Lauren will you come here a minute?'

Sighing, I wrapped my bathrobe tighter around myself and walked down the stairs.

Mam and Dad were sitting at the kitchen table when I got to the kitchen.

'Oh pet!', Mam said, wrapping me and a hug when she saw me, 'Are you okay?'

Sniffling, I nodded into her chest.

When Finn had brought me home the previous night, he had told my parents what had happened.

'That fucking bastard!', Dad exclaimed, when Mam let me go and led me to sit down on one of the chairs, 'He deserves to rot in hell!'

'At least he got what he deserved', Mam replied, holding my hand.

'What do you mean?', I asked, 'How?'

'He's in jail Lauren', Dad explained, 'Your friends called the police, after they beat him up after you left. If I have anything to do with it, he won't be out for a long time.'

'Oh thank God!', I said, feeling relief spread throughout my body, 'Thank God.'

'It's alright', Mam smiled, 'You're safe Lauren.'

Just then the doorbell rang.

'I'll get it', Dad said, getting up and walking out into the hall.

A few minutes later he called me, 'Lauren, there's someone here to see you!'

'Mam!', I said to my mother, panicking, 'I don't want anyone to see me like this!'

'Wait in here', Mam replied, and walked out of the kitchen, closing the door behine her.

I was picking at a loose piece of material on my bathrobe when the kitchen door reopened.

I looked up and gasped to see Luke, Jai, and Beau standing there.

'Lauren!', Luke exclaimed, devouring me in a hug before I could react further, 'Wait until you see the day we have planned for you!'

'What?', I asked, confused.

'We're taking over your life for the day!', Jai replied, 'Well, half the day. You're not supposed to play the X-Box that long.'

With that Beau took his hands out from behind his back to show the games console he was carrying.

I couldn't help but laugh, only these boys would think of making my day better by spending it playing FIFA.

'Lauren why don't you go and get dressed while the boys set up the game in the sitting room?', Dad, who had walked into the room with Mam, suggested.

'Okay', I said, and smiled for the first time since the previous night.

When I came downstairs, fully dressed a few minutes later, I walked into the sitting room to find Beau sitting on the couch, X-Box controller in hand.

'Beau', I said, sitting down beside him, 'Thank you so much for last night. I dread to think what would have happened to me if you hadn't been there.'

'Lauren there's no need to thank me', Beau replied, taking my hand in his.

Smiling, I looked down at his hand to see his knuckles cut and sore.

'Beau your hand!', I gasped, 'Is that from when you hit Anthony last night?'

'Oh, yeah', Beau stuttered, 'And I may have hit him a few times before the cops came to arrest him too. After Puck, Mike and Matt had finished with him.'

'Beau you shouldn't have done that!', I said.

'No Lauren!', Beau replied, before I could say anything else, 'He hurt you, but I promise you from this day on, I will never let anyone hurt you ever again!'

And from the look in his eyes, I knew he was telling the truth.