Chapter 28

"I thought you said you didn't need to go,"

"What? A guy can't get worried?"

*smirk*, "Okay, fair point. So, Avery, where did you guys go?"

"Oh, he just wanted to talk to me in the back,"

"Hm, fine.

After School

I was just about to get on the bus when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Hey, Avery, I was thinking...I want to walk you home everyday."

"What? Why?"

"Hm," he started to think, "Should I say what I want to say or what I should say?"

I rolled my eyes and smiled, "You choose,"

"Alright, it's because I can't stand to be away from your beautiful face for so long."

I looked at him with sarcastic eyes.

"Alright, fine. You got me. It's really because I'm afraid that one guy will come and ambush you or something again."

"See, there's the real answer. Wait a minute, are you saying CAN stand to be away from my beautiful face for so long?"

His eyes widened, "No, I-I was just-I uh," I lightly hit his arm.

"Haha, I'm just messing with you."

"That's not funny; I thought you were serious, but really, can we go?"

"Yes, okay. Let's go."

We were walking along the sidewalk side-by-side just chatting like any other couple would do in their first few of days. I, being a girl, was acting all shy at first, but later lightened up soon after the stroll commenced.

*sigh*, "You know," Beckett started to talk, "I really don't like this "Josh" character. What's the deal with him?"

"Do you want to know the story?" He nodded.

"So, Gabby told me that she liked him, so I said I wouldn't try to set them up. We became friends, and in a game of truth or dare, and I dared him to ask her out. He did, but he was just doing it to play the game right. I tried my best to keep the relationship going for as long as possible, but I felt it wasn't right for Gabby's boyfriend to not like her the way she deserves, so I let Josh break up with her. Then, I guess he developed feelings for me, and, well, you've seen the rest."

"Wow, I still don't like him. Do you want to deal with it or should I?"

"Well, I'm hoping time will solve this for us."

"If you say so, but I'm taking over if it gets out of hand."

I looked up at him, "You'd better not go too far."

He turned his head as well, "I'm not promising anything."

We finally approached my house; I turned around to face him

"Thank you for taking me home. Bye bye,"

"Wait," I looked back.

"Yes?"

He took a couple steps forward and pointed to his cheek, "Don't you think I deserve something?"

"Oh, yes; right," I walked up and patted his head, "See you tomorrow!" and ran off before he got a chance to react. 

He shook back to reality, "Yah!" but by that time, I was already opening the door. 

The Next Day

Beckett said that he wanted to drive me to school, so we were in the school parking lot upon arrival.

We were walking next to each other when I felt him grab my hand. I looked down at it slightly confused.

"What are you doing?"

"I want to hold your hand," he took a look at my concerned face. "Don't worry, I washed my hands," but that wasn't why I was concerned. I didn't want to risk Emily finding our if she hadn't already from yesterday's incident. Beckett, on the other hand, seemed as fit as a button.

In the corner of my eye, I saw her. The one I was dreading. The good news is Beckett was by my side and there was no way she would do anything that would make her look bad in front of him. Our eyes made eye contact, and she approached me hastily. 

"Hey, Beckett," she wrapped her arms around his, "Oh, who is this?" Those evil eyes, once again, burned their holes in mine. 

Beckett remained silent and kept on walking.

"No? Okay, fine. Listen, honey," she directed her attention to me, "You don't belong here. He likes me and only me; I was his first love."

Before she could finish what she had to say, Beckett pushed her off his arm. No more words could be spoken. He grasped my hand tighter and continued to move on. 

After a long pause of awkward silence, I decided to break it.

"Hey, Babe, who exactly is she?"

He shook his head, "You don't have to worry about her. She's a nobody," he assured me.

Four Hours Later

He was escorting me to my next class when I needed to use the restroom

"I will be right back," and I went in.

When I finished washing my hands, I opened the door and walked out to find my boyfriend. I turned my head to the left, and there he was. He was in a make out session with the one-and-only Emily. My eyes widened and time froze.