Chapter 12

We have been walking around the amusement park for a couple hours now without riding any rides. I have to say, as stubborn and frustrating as he is, I'm impressed at how well we worked together as a team. By about 12:00, we were done with the entire worksheet front and back. I was about to text Mr. Wood of our progress, but he insisted on doing it himself. I had nothing against the idea, so I put the paper in my small backpack and watched him as he was staring at his screen fiddling his thumbs. I got nostalgic as I thought about my past. Oh, how I miss my Beckett, this one isn't so bad, but mine is just downright amazing. I missed him all too much, and this artificial Beckett Jair was now just a painful reminder with every glance I take.

As soon as he put his phone back his pocket, he started to put his paper in his bag as well. When he was finished, he looked up to me and saw that I was looking around the scenery. He finally spoke:

"So, is there anything you wanted to do?" he asked without making eye contact.

"What?" I asked unsure if he was really talking to me or not.

"I said, is there anything you wanted to do before we left?" 

Shocked that he was actually talking to me, I said, "Um, not really guess."

"Okay then, follow me," and with that, he started walking off.  I started to wonder where he could possibly be taking me. 

We were walking for a good 10 minutes until I could finally realize where he wanted to go

We were walking for a good 10 minutes until I could finally realize where he wanted to go. It was the huge Eiffel Tower in the middle of the park. We got in the elevator and started to rise a good 300 feet or so. I have never been to the top before. Not that I was scared to or anything, it was just that I didn't think it was all that special.

When the doors opened, I saw the platform ahead of us and steadily walked to the edge. Below, I saw the entire amusement park  at my feet. Rides I thought were quite huge on the ground looked like a mere play toy up here. I was fascinated by the view when I heard footsteps walking closer to me. I turned my head to see Beckett with his eyes closed and head tilted slightly upwards. I wondered what he was doing, but never dared to bluntly ask. 

I circled around the entire platform to make sure I've seen everything. When I came back around to my starting place, there was Beckett in the same position as before. 

*What could he possibly be thinking right now?* I was thinking to myself as I was walking to stand next to him. I looked out the bars, then back at him. I didn't catch myself staring until he finally opened his eyes. He looked down at me for a second, then at the ground.

"Sorry, I'm just tired." He looked down at his watched, " We should probably start heading back now." He then turned around and walked off and I followed in his footsteps.

The walk back was generally quiet despite all the white noise in the background. We finally came across Mr. Wood. He was sitting at one of the tables eating his lunch when he noticed us.

"Oh, you guys are back early, did you not want to ride any more rides?"

"No we're okay," I told him.

"Hm, alright then. We still have like 15 minutes before we leave. Do you guys want to go somewhere really quick and grab a bite to eat?"

Beckett nodded his head and said "Sure," then walked off, and I followed.

We walked into some kind of pizza parlor. The line wasn't as bad as I thought. Probably because it's a weekday.

"Do you want anything?" Beckett asked while examining the menu.

"Are you sure? Everything seems so expensive here."

"I don't mind."

I looked shock. This was really unexpected, but I had no time to be aghast. 

"Um, I'll just have a slice of pepperoni pizza please."

"Okay," he walked up to the lady behind the counter.

"Two slices of pepperoni pizza please." The lady nodded and began to slice our pizza and put them into to-go boxes.

"$8.50." He paid her with cash "Thank you. Have a nice day." We thanked her and walked out to find a table. 

I sat at the table, making sure not to make eye contact, and being confused on what this guy sitting across from me could possibly be thinking. One moment he acts so cold, and then the next he treats me like a true friend. This was the epitome of utter confusion.

We finished eating our pizza, and that's when everybody decided to show up and board the bus

We finished eating our pizza, and that's when everybody decided to show up and board the bus. I don't know about everyone else, but I can guarantee that both Beckett and I were exhausted. This time, I made sure I got the window seat, therefore, Beckett was stuck with the aisle placement. He didn't really seemed to mind. 

Only a couple minutes after the bus began driving, my head started to bob. It started to softly sway back and forth until it finally landed on the window. Beckett didn't really seem to mind about the girl practically passed out sitting right next to him as he was so focused on reading his book.

Suddenly, the bus had to make a turn to the right which caused my head to switch sides, and it landed right on his shoulder. He slightly shook at the sudden weight now bestowed on him, and looked at my sleeping face for a moment then went back to his book.

After a few minutes his head started to sway as well until it finally landed on top of mine. Of course, neither of us remember this part of the story.