Chapter 23

Today, we were going dress shopping, and visited our favorite mall (she drove of course). The first store we saw looked very glitzy and glamourous. It was obviously way out of our price range.

"Gabby, this looks more like bridesmaid dresses. Let's go somewhere else."

"Yes, but let's just look around for the fun of it."

Nothing seemed off about that, so I agreed. I have to say, I did feel pretty rich and more mature being in a store like that.

The next store was more for cute, casual wear. I mean, of course they had options for prom and homecoming dresses, but they  just weren't hitting the mark for her. However, they did have some pretty cute shoes. Gabby helped me pick some out.

"Gabby, I don't even know what my dress will look like."

"That's true, but let's just get a neutral pair that will go with anything."

"I do have those. I have a pair of white, black, and brown heels. One of them is bound to go with my dress."

"You don't have any metallic shoes though. I love the look of them. That's another color you should have."

I trusted Gabrielle with all my heart, so I let her pick out a pair for me.

They were absolutely stunning. Not to sound frugal, but the fact that she found them on the clearance rack made them look even more snazzy. I swear, this girl knows me too well. 

"Okay, I'm impressed."

"See, I told you," and we both had a big smile on our faces. We also looked around for just regular casual clothes because why not?

The third dress shop was right around the corner from the food court, so it caught our eye. Hopefully she could find a nice looking (and decently priced) dress here. If not, she spotted a nice option at the last stop.

I picked up this blue one for her.

"It certainly is beautiful, but let's look round for others," she was right

"It certainly is beautiful, but let's look round for others," she was right. I had a good feeling about this store. We must have spent almost an hour in there to make sure we have looked at EVERY SINGLE DRESS. Tomorrow was Sunday anyway, so we had nothing special.

"Okay, I think we have all the options," she said.

"I agree, let's go to the dressing room and get your model on!"

She laughed then went to go change.

"What do you think about this?"

"Hmm, I give it a seven; next."

About three dresses later, she came out in a dress that looked amazing on her.

"What do you think?"

"I think it's fabulous, I just have one question: Why is it that the last dress always looks the best?"

"Because isn't better to save the best for last?"

"That's true, but I'm just saying it's so stereotypical you know?"

"Yeah, I get what you mean."

"So how much does it cost?" I asked.

She looked at the tag, "$105." In reality, it wasn't that bad, but still, I didn't want to pay that much.

We went up to the register and checked out.

"Now, not to alarm you or anything, but what shoes and accessories are you going to wear with that?"

"Aw crap. I don't want to be broke, so I guess I will just wear what I have at home."

"Okay, let's go home now," I replied

"Yay, I want to help you pick out a dress too."

My parents already know and love Gabby, so they didn't mind if she came over. 

"Hey mom, can I look though your old dresses to find a prom dress?"

"Sure," she stood up, "let me get them out for you," I nodded.

Once we saw all the dresses, which was actually quite a few, we commenced on my version of "dress shopping". 

I tried on a plethora of them, until we found "the one." 

"Avery, I think you look great in that

"Avery, I think you look great in that. Who knew that your mom had such nice dresses?" 

"I know right."

"Maybe I should've looked in my mom's clothes too," Then she thought about what she just said, "On second thought, never mind."

Six Days Later

Well, I think it's safe to say that I officially don't have a prom date. Beckett was going with Emily, Josh was going with Gabrielle because I convinced him it was the right thing to do, and all my other guy friends were either going with someone else, or just not the person I could see myself going to prom with. 

The dance is tomorrow, and Gabby promised me that she will give me some love as well. She promised, so I'm holding her accountable for it if she doesn't. 

Later that evening when I was thinking about tomorrow night, all that crossed through my mind was *Food table, here I come.*