Chapter 9

Oh great, it's Monday. I hate Mondays. It doesn't matter how much sleep I get on Sunday, I will always be tired on Monday. I didn't do any homework on Friday or Saturday, therefore, I had to do it all yesterday. Now, I'm tired and really didn't want to come to school. Oh well. 

I walked into the building just like any other day and went to my locker to get my books

I walked into the building just like any other day and went to my locker to get my books. Just when I closed my door, out popped Gabrielle.

"Hey!"

Surprised, I said with my head tilting back, "Whoa, you scared me. What's with you?"

She looked at me with narrow eyes, "Good morning to you too, but I have an idea." We began to walk towards our first block.

"And what is that?"

"What if we follow him home and see where he goes on Saturday?"

"Gabby, that makes us sounds like we're stalkers. Are you crazy? What if someone followed you home just to see if you would leave the house on Saturday?"

"Fair point, but he's a jerk. Who cares?"

"I care, that's the point."

"Avery, please? Do you have a better idea?"

"Other than just leaving it alone, no."

"See, you don't."

"Gabby, why are you so insistent on this? He seems happy now. There's no point."

"But you're not happy."

"Who said I'm not happy?"

She looked at me with that 'Are you serious?' look, "Are you kidding me? Look at your face."

"Gabs, please leave it alone for now," and with that I walked in the classroom before her.

5 1/2 Hours Later

I walked into math today, as usual, and started to look over my notes. It was when I heard someone sit down next to me that I decided to look up. I looked at him with wide eyes and squished eyebrows. Dare I speak? I must've spent, what felt like, the next 10 minutes contemplating that. I started to open my mouth multiple times, but nothing seemed to have come out. I finally worked up the courage and said:

"Yo-"

"Hello guys, take a seat," Mr. Wood announced ready to start today's lesson.

 Wood announced ready to start today's lesson

I was so close. I shrugged it off thinking to myself, *If he wanted to talk to me, he would've said something by now.* We spent the entire class acting as if we were sitting alone giving the other no attention what-so-ever.

"Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!"

The bell went off and it felt like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders, more than usual. I gathered my things and started to head across the hall. I was excited to go to Chinese because it was one of my favorite subjects. I sat in my chair and took out some snacks. Right when I was about to take a bite, I see Beckett walk into the room. I had completely forgotten he takes this class too. 

"Are you serious?" I accidentally said out loud.

The teacher looked at me, "What's wrong?"

Again realizing I said that out loud, I shook it off and told her it was nothing. I looked back at Beckett and there he was, sitting directly across from me

"Are you kidding me?" I mouthed to myself making sure not to make a noise this time. "I have to spend the rest of the year with him in sight every time I look up? I must have really bad luck lately."

"同学们下午好! (Good afternoon students)"

"老师下午好! (Good afternoon, teacher)"

I must say, I tried my best not to even take one glance at him, and I think I made it a little too obvious. I don't know if he really was (because I never looked), but I felt his glances and stares stabbing me in the throat. 

Mrs. White gave out the worksheets, and as we were doing them, she told us stories about her experiences in China, her family, and other things like that just as she normally would, and I tried my best to listen, write, and eat at the same time just as I normally would. Not to mention I tried my hardest to ignore the very presence of, him; perhaps to obviously though. 

"Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!" Yay! the long awaited bell that meant I could go home rung. I walked downstairs to my locker and got my things. As I swung my backpack over my shoulder, I saw Beckett walking towards me as if he was off to something urgent. I shifted my eyes to something that wouldn't affect my emotions in anyway i.e. the tiling on the floor. Right when I was about to pass him, he grabs my forearm.

"We need to talk."