Chapter 25

Monday

"Okay, prom is over. Now, there is no excuse for me not to break up with her."

"I know I know, but are you sure you want to? I mean, Gabrielle is a great girl."

"Yes, it's been fun, but I think it's time. I told you before, I like someone else. It wouldn't be fair to her if her boyfriend had a crush on another girl."

"Fair point. Ugh, I hate breakups; they are always so sad. Anyway, when do you think you will do it?"

"I don't know. Maybe I'll invite her on a date tonight and do it then."

I had practice today, so I couldn't sabotage him again. Perhaps I'm the bad on here. I'm the one who made Josh ask her out in the first place. I'm the one who made all those terrible things happen to him last time. I'm even the one who forced him to go to prom with someone he doesn't even like. 

I made the decision to let him do it. It's going to break my heart so see Gabrielle's heart torn to pieces, but I'd rather have him break up with her now and tell the truth than for her to find out on her own and discover his hidden lie. 

For the rest of the day, I thought about recent events: Josh was going to break up with my best friend, and Beckett kissed me...AGAIN. I never imagined my junior year would have had so much drama. I tried my best to mask my insides, but of course, she saw right through me.

"Avery, are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine. Why?"

"I don't know. You just look a little worried today."

"Of course I look worried, it's Monday. What Monday isn't terrible."

She narrowed her eyes at me, "I don't believe you."

I sighed, "Fine, Gabby, I want to tell you something. Now, since you're my best friend, do you promise not to tell?"

"Yes, of course. What's wrong?"

"I-I I kissed Beckett."

"Are you serious!?"

"Um, yeah."

"Congratulations!"

I looked at her confused, "What do you mean "congratulations"?"

"You always had a crush on him right?"

"No, I said I just wanted to rekindle our friendship."

"Uh huh, sure you did."

"I'm serious."

"It's fine, Avery, we like to lie to ourselves all the time. I know how you really feel."

I finally decided to just let Gabby think what she wanted to, "Okay, fine."

"Hah! I knew it!"

She seemed so happy today. Maybe it was just because I knew what was coming later.

Tuesday

I saw Gabrielle and how unhappy she looked

I saw Gabrielle and how unhappy she looked. I knew exactly what happened, but I thought it would only be right to ask.

"Hey, Gabby. Are you okay?"

"No, *sniffs* I'm not okay."

"What happened?"

"Josh broke up with me."

"Why did he do that?"

"I don't know, he didn't say."

I gave her a big hug letting her cry it all out, "Shh, you're alright. Don't think you did anything wrong. You were a great girlfriend. He's just a jerk, that's all."

"*sniffs* No, he's not a jerk. I'm the jerk. I wasn't good enough for him."

"No, don't say that. You're an amazing person, Gabby. Look on the bright side. You are single now. You can go find yourself an even better guy than him."

"That's true," I smiled at her.

"We have to go to class now. Let's go," I took her hand and pulled her inside.

I spent the rest of the day trying to lighten up her spirits. I danced around to our favorite songs like a maniac in the hallway and put on a lip syncing show and bought her ice cream at lunch. 

At the end of the day, I was pretty satisfied at my attempt to distract her from her breakup with Josh. 

Saturday

I was invited to hang out with both Beckett and Josh today, and I probably did a stupid thing:

Flashback

"Hey, Avery."

"Oh, hi, Beckett. What's up?"

"Oh nothing much. I just wanted to know if you wanted to hang out on Saturday."

"Sure, that sounds like fun."

"Great. Should I pick you up at 10:00?"

"That sounds good."

"Okay, see you then I guess."

Later that day

My phone started to ring

"Hello?"

"Hi, it's Josh."

"Hey, how are you?"

"I'm good. I just wanted to know if you were doing anything on Saturday."

"Um, I'm going out with my friend that day. You're welcome to join."

"Where are you guys going?"

"I don't know. I guess we'll find out tomorrow."

He thought about it for a little bit, "Okay, I guess I'll come."

"Great, be at my house before 10 a.m."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye bye."

Josh's Point of View

I don't know who this friend of her's is, but I better chaperone to find out and make sure he/she doesn't do anything.

Avery's Point of View

After realizing what I just did, I felt very stupid. This was not going to end up well.