Chapter Thirty-Five

"Captain Hawthorne! You will have to forgive my confusion. I am not certain if that was a proposal of marriage or an offer to open a surgery together. You spoke significantly more about our future medical practice than any fondness or familial feeling." Elizabeth started pacing, her agitation clear in every step. She really had not been expecting the militia surgeon's proposal.

They had been walking from the encampment, where several soldiers had been injured in a training accident. They had worked together to ensure that none of the injuries would have long lasting impact. As had increasing been the case whenever their duties or social functions had brought them into company, Captain Hawthorne had once again been extolling the benefits that could be found if they were to combine their gifts and skills. She could tell he was excited by the possibilities for fame and fortune such a medical partnership in Town might bring them. On this day, that had somehow evolved into his proposing marriage as the obvious first step towards this most desirable future.

"To be honest, I must say it was both." Captain Hawthorne quipped lightheartedly. Elizabeth did not think he realized the full extent of her disquiet at the situation. "While it is true that I find you a most lovely, vivacious, and charming lady; it is your gift and your ... pragmatic, shall we say ... view of the world that makes me certain we would suit each other well. Your resolution to face the most horrific situations with aplomb and your ability to discern the requirement to forgo civility for violence when faced with the necessity are remarkable, almost ... masculine."

"I am certain you intended that as a compliment," Elizabeth said. "But it is not. You have misunderstood my character completely. I am not pragmatic. Every sick child or wounded soldier that I treat tears at my heart. Every man I kill ... kills me too."

"If you had approached me with honeyed words or declarations of love, I would have felt some obligation to acknowledge the honor you do me and offer my gratitude for your gracious offer. Instead, I will simply provide a polite refusal that we may resume our ... professional acquaintance."

"But ..."

"I believe it is time for me to patrol. I bid you a good day, Captain." With that, Elizabeth stepped off the road, raced into the woods, and left the confused man far behind.

She cursed his foolishness. He had all but ruined an effective professional relationship with his greed and presumption. Men could be such mercurial creatures; moving from admiration to matrimony with no consideration of the indispensable steps in-between. From a practical perspective, the match was not wholly unsuitable. He was, at least, from a landed family, even if his family's estate was smaller than Longbourn, and he was a third son. But to approach her with accolades for her practicality and manly deeds was unpardonable. As she neared her home, she realized the full import of her refusing an eligible proposal. If word spread, her reputation might suffer. Worse, if her mother heard, as she was certain to, for there could be no secrets in a small town, Elizabeth might never find a peaceful moment at home again.

When word finally did spread, a circumstance Elizabeth ascribed to Mr. Wickham's scandalmongering, Mrs. Bennet's reaction was worse than she had feared. For weeks, all she heard was how unnatural a daughter she was to refuse such an opportunity. Her relief was profound when her father summoned her to his sanctum, where her mother dared not intrude.

"Lizzy, please have a seat." He looked at her, holding a missive in his hand, his spectacles perched precariously on his nose. "Do I understand correctly that you are able to detect the workings of the temporary gifts instilled in these ExtraOrdinaries?"

"That's correct."

"And you can trace the diminishment of these effects?"

"Again, correct."