Chapter Twenty

Standing in the yard, Darcy reached to help Miss Elizabeth down from the carriage. Bingley had already hurried into the house to attend to some matter or other. Due to their travails at Triple Creek, both Darcy and Miss Elizabeth had ruined their gloves. When their bare hands touched, the young beauty drew in a quick breath. He was tall enough that her face was only just higher than his as she sat in the carriage. They locked eyes. Darcy realized at that moment that he had never been so bewitched by any woman as he was by her. He really believed, that were it not for the inferiority of her situation and connections, he would be seriously contemplating marriage. And the look in her fine eyes held an intensity that made him certain she shared his fascination. His attraction to her was so strong, he realized he was in danger of leaning forward and claiming a kiss from her red lips.

But that would be wrong in so many ways. The impropriety was obvious. The damage to her reputation would be irreparable. And she would despise him for taking such advantage of her. Instead, he stepped back and gently guided her to the ground. He flattered himself that she was not unaffected by the incident, as she hurried past him into the house. He berated himself for his ungentlemanly behavior. He had frightened her, he was sure. And worse, he may have given rise to expectations that he was not willing to meet. He had to control himself better.

Miss Bennet was well enough to join them for dinner that evening. Bingley was completely captivated by the fragile creature. She, in turn seemed willing to be admired by him. After the meal they sat in the parlor.

"We are very appreciative of your hospitality," Miss Elizabeth addressed Bingley. "But we feel it is time for us to return to our home. I can continue Jane's treatment there and we can relieve you of the unenviable duty of hosting an invalid."

"Nonsense," Bingley objected. "With what happened today, it is too dangerous for you to make such a move."

"We were not planning on leaving just yet," Miss Bennet soothed. "If we may trespass one night longer, and you will lend us your carriage, we will return home after services tomorrow."

"Must you?" Miss Bingley said with some semblance of sincerity.

"As you pointed out, there are still dangers afoot. I need to return to Longbourn to protect my family. Jane needs my continued care. And ..." she hesitated, "if we are not here, you have the flexibility you may need, should things turn for the worse."

"You are driven by tactical considerations?" Darcy questioned. He was concerned that his behavior at the carriage may have caused her so much apprehension that she was fleeing an uncomfortable situation.

"In part," she acknowledged. "But mostly we are driven by the fact that Jane's improvement has been more rapid than we might have anticipated, and we both miss our home. Your hospitality has been peerless. But home calls to the heart."

"Poetry, Miss Elizabeth?" Darcy asked.

"Your pardon, I meant no harm by it." Her smile was slight, but he saw it.

"Very well," Miss Bingley said. "If it must be, it must be. You will, of course be greatly missed Dearest Jane, and you as well Miss Eliza. You are welcome at Netherfield at any time."

"Of course, you will both be back for the ball," Bingley reminded them with great enthusiasm.

"Charles, are you seriously considering a dance at Netherfield? I would advise you, before you fix on it, to consult the wishes of the present party. I am much mistaken if there are not some among us for whom a ball would be rather a punishment than a pleasure."

"If you mean Darcy," cried her brother, "He may go to bed before it begins, if he chooses. But as for the ball, it is quite a settled thing. As soon as Cook has made white soup enough I shall send round my cards."