Chapter Twenty-Four

Elizabeth and her sisters, along with Mr. Collins, arrived at her Aunt and Uncle Phillips' house for a dinner party two day after meeting the new Colonel. They had been busy days, filled with meetings and patrols, with only limited time for familial obligations. She had been happy to be gone from the house and its visitor. Mr. Collins had made plain, if not explicit, his intention to marry a daughter of the family to make amends for the iniquity of inheriting the estate.

At first his attentions towards Jane were quite evident. But later, after a quick word about Jane's presumptive match with Mr. Bingley from their mother Elizabeth assumed, he turned his attentions towards her. Unfortunately for Mr. Collins, Elizabeth shared her father's opinion of the man. He was not a sensible man, and the deficiency of nature had been little assisted by either education or society. Plainly put, her cousin was absurd. He had made his interest perfectly clear during a family trip to Meryton the previous day. The sojourn led to an encounter with Mr. Bingley, which made both him and Jane happy, but was otherwise a painful reminder of what a permanent connection to the rector might entail. It was also during the trip that their cousin was invited the dinner party, which, after some consideration of the likely opinions of his patroness, Lady Catherine, on the matter, he decided to attend.

It turned out that both the local society of Meryton and the militia officers were represented equally at the soirée. Elizabeth was satisfied leaving Mr. Collins in the company of their hostess. She could already hear him trying to compliment her Aunt by comparing her furnishings and decorations unfavorably to Rosings, the home of Lady Catherine. Knowing what she did of the two interlocutors, she assumed that, at some point, a condition of mutual satisfaction, if not real understanding, would be reached. But she felt no need to stand and wait for the event to occur. Instead she steered a course through the crowd to her dear friend Charlotte Lucas.

Charlotte had been acting as an assistant to her while working with the militia patrols. For the most part, they were occupied as guides, helping the patrols find the obscure and out of the way locations in the area. Charlotte had inherited some portion of her father's near invulnerability, though not the accompanying strength or malleability. Her impenetrable skin meant she was at significantly less risk should her patrol be ambushed. And her father had taught her enough about firearms to make it safe for her to carry one if needed. "Charlotte, how was the patrol with Chamberlayne?"

"Uneventful. Which, I suppose is better than some alternatives. How is your cousin's visit progressing? He seems a pleasant enough man."

"He is a gracious guest, and most complimentary. Though I think he is somewhat concerned with the situation in which we all find ourselves. When Father suggested he might join in one of the patrols to meet his future neighbors and familiarize himself with the area, Mr. Collins suggested he might offer Mr. James assistance in seeing to the increased pastoral needs of the parish. He felt it might have much the same introductory effect and would be a better use of his talents."

"It is very generous of him to offer, Lizzy. He owes nothing to the neighborhood."

"You're correct of course," Elizabeth sighed. "It's just that ..."

"Miss Bennet?" a smooth voice interrupted their conversation. Both ladies turned to find Mr. Wickham, in his fine regimentals, calling for her attention. At first Elizabeth was put out at his presumption, but as he continued, her mood shifted to a more receptive mode. "I'm terribly sorry to interrupt. But I was wondering if I might impose upon you for a moment of your time."

"Mr. Wickham, Do you know my dear friend Miss Charlotte Lucas, Sir William's eldest."

The handsome militiaman bowed. "I had the honor of making her acquaintance just this afternoon. Perhaps we might retire to the settee." Again Elizabeth had a flash of annoyance at his slighting Charlotte, but it quickly faded. Her friend nodded to her as the officer led her away.