Chapter One

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

It was not matrimonial possibilities that had drawn Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy, CM to the vicinity of the market town of Meryton in Hertfordshire. He had come to aid his friend Mr. Charles Bingley, in determining if the estate of Netherfield Park was an appropriate property upon which he might cut his teeth as a landed gentleman. But he was, as always, decidedly aware that on his first entering any neighborhood, the surrounding families would consider him as the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters. He was determined to be on his guard against such machinations and entanglements at all times.

"What say you, Darcy?" Bingley asked. The two gentlemen reined in their horses and took in the view of the large house on the wooded hill.

"It seems pleasant enough," Darcy admitted.

"Oh, it's nothing to Pemberley I know. But I must have an estate if I am ever to learn to manage one. Will this do, do you think?" Bingley was a confident young man, but was aware of the limitations of his experience and upbringing. He valued his older friend's advice on this and many other things.

"I cannot think you have spent much time in the somewhat limited society such a neighborhood as this may offer. Have you considered how you and your sisters may get along?" The gentleman from Derbyshire was more than familiar with country living. He considered himself a country squire at heart, despite the time he spent in the Metropolis.

"Country manners? Nothing could be more charming."

Darcy smiled inwardly. His friend thought the whole world charming. "The decision is yours. But, I suggest you take it."

"Thank you, I agree." It was a fine early autumn day, and the temperate air and open fields tempted the friends to continue their most enjoyable ride. With a merry laugh, they raced to the house on the hill. As they rode, Darcy's keen eyes spotted a young lady watching them from a tall hilltop some ways in the distance. He was not able to take in many details before she was occluded by the trees, but he was favorably impressed with her lissome figure and fine eyes. Prudence, Darcy. Be always on your guard.

Bingley took possession of the estate the day before Michaelmas. At first it was just he and Darcy in residence. Having no lady in the party precluded them from any formal entertaining. But it did not stop the local gentlemen from making their calls to introduce themselves and welcome the newcomer to the county. Three of the visitors stood out in Darcy's recollection. The first was a local knight, Sir William Lucas, who Darcy suspected was newly risen to the ranks of the gentry. He had the air of a former military man and the style of a parvenu.

"I am delighted to welcome you to our humble society, Mr. Bingley. I trust you will find us convivial company."

"Thank you, Sir William. I am most anxious to become better acquainted with the neighborhood." Bingley replied warmly.

"Your timing could not be more fortuitous then," effused Sir William. "We are to hold a public assembly in a fortnight, on the 15th. You would delight the county were you to grace us with your presence. I can assure you that despite our seclusion, this neighborhood can boast some of the loveliest maidens in all of England. Not even the Court of St. James may offer blossoms to rival the Miss Bennets who are often referred to as the Flowers of Hertfordshire."

"Good gracious. I would be greatly saddened to miss such an opportunity to meet the good people of Meryton. If my guests are amenable, I shall certainly attend."

"Capital! Just capital."

The next man that drew Mr. Darcy's notice was Mr. Robinson, a tall, thin gentleman only a few years older than Darcy yet already nearly bald. Mr. Robinson entered the room with his pipe and pouch following behind him like a faithful hound.