Chapter Twenty-Six

The last week had been uncomfortable for Elizabeth. There were several causes for this ongoing, and increasing, distress. The most obvious was the steady rain that lasted most of the week. It made the necessary patrols most unpleasant. She could use her gift to ensure that neither she nor her compatriots suffered any illness due to the cold, late autumn precipitation. But nothing could make extended excursions in the downpour an experience to be relished. The continuing disappointment of finding no sign of their quarry just made the situation worse.

Unpleasant as the downpour was, the most distressing aspect of the situation was that her numerous patrols left her too much time for contemplation of the two men that plagued her current existence. Mr. Darcy was avoiding her, and Mr. Collins was pursuing. With the man from Derbyshire, it was difficult to discern if the avoidance was deliberate on his part, as the current patrol schedule had them slotted opposite each other. She guided many of the day patrols, while he was in charge of the night. But, there were meetings for reporting and planning where they were both in attendance. She recalled a discussion she had with Jane, just two evenings prior.

"I am certain of it," Elizabeth argued. "There can be no mistake. He barely said two words to me at the meeting, beyond his civil, if reserved, greeting."

"But have not you often commented that he is not a voluble man?" Jane asked, trying to put the situation in the best light. "I have always found him to be pleasant enough, if a little shy in company."

"He spent the night refusing to meet my eyes, like Lydia avoiding a scolding when she was a girl. I am loathe to lend credence to Mr. Wickham's assertion that Mr. Darcy might already be engaged. But ..."

"If both Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley have warned us against this Wickham fellow, I think we should take anything he says about the others with some reservations."

"I agree. And even though I try to disregard Wickham's words, I began to fear that Mr. Darcy's avoidance is caused by hiss feeling of guilt for his emotional betrayal of his alleged fiancé, or by his shame over his indecorous behavior towards me."

"Has he offended you?" Jane asked, her hand on Elizabeth's arm.

"Not as such, but..."

"But you have feelings for him. And you think he may have feelings for you. If that is the case, then he cannot be engaged. As you thought, Mr. Wickham is not to be believed."

"But Mr. Collins confirmed the report." Elizabeth almost wailed. "And he has not even met Mr. Darcy yet. He can have little reason to deceive."

"Perhaps he is simply mistaken."

"It is a hopeless situation, Jane. And as long as Mr. Darcy is avoiding me, I cannot even apply to him for clarification."

"Not that you would ever think of confronting him with such a question. It would be most improper."

"And could lead to nothing but mortification for both of us, no matter the answer." The younger woman slammed her fist into her pillow. "It is all so frustrating."

"Does it pain you very much, dearest?"

"In truth, I cannot even say I know my own feelings. And I hate not knowing."

"What of Mr. Collins? Is he still pursuing you so diligently?" Jane asked, trying to draw a smile from her sister, knowing she shared their father's appreciation for the absurd, and his opinion of his heir.

Elizabeth did smile. "He is the opposite of Mr. Darcy in every way. While I cannot pin the one down to speak, I can hardly venture downstairs without encountering our cousin and being drawn into a long, if one-sided, discussion ... on the beauties of Rosings, the possible future of Longbourn, or the merits of a certain modest parsonage in Kent. He has already asked me for the first two sets at the Netherfield Ball. I could not refuse, as much as would like to have done so."